Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well mine is stuck on.i used wrenches,breaker bars,vice grips.it just wont come off.i dont know if it even has any fluid and cant it off to check or fill it. does it turn the other way, like lefty tighty righty loosy or something? i cant figure out why it would be so stuck.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Normal threads-It has to come off. It's just stuck real good. Have you rounded the treads off yet?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mine was giving me major issues too. Ended up buying a socket that actually fits it. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but make sure your tool is a perfect fit. It make a 100% difference in my case.

-Squid

·
Registered
31 Posts
spray it with PB blaster and let it sit, for awhile do it every couple hours, then tap it with a hammer just lightly to shock it, then try it....

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
lawndawg said:
, then tap it with a hammer just lightly to shock it,
a tip that usually goes something like
tap tap tap wack wack Wack WAck WACk WACK WACK!! WACK!!
f$%kin Son*@#bi^&h ^^%&#9 (*#&))$-

·
Registered
797 Posts
Donk said:
lawndawg said:
I agree here. A good fitting socket CAN NOT replace the power of cursing at something! (btw, it works on seized brake components as well!) ;)

-Squid

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Donk said:
lawndawg said:
shortly after this you hear a loud crack as that steel hammer goes through the side of that aluminum transfer case, and then the cussing really begins ;D ;D

a good point ot the hammer going through though, you will know if you have fluid or not ;D

eric

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
LoL! What is the correct size of the socket and the Torx?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I like to use my hammer assisted impact driver in these cases. Be careful with the aluminum. Use a good penetrating oil too.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have used a wrench that fits ,a socket that fits and everything else including a hammer.it doesnt budge.is it possible to cut it off and get it out? or drill it out? i dont know what else to do

·
7,995 Posts
I wonder if someone glued that thing in with some Loctite or something similar. I would clean off the plug and area around it and try a little bit of heat, a butane lighter might work, make sure the entire plug gets warm so that the threads are hot. Watch out for gas leaks. :) The other thing you might try is a small piece of dry ice on the plug itself, the cold may shrink it just enough to break it free?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
yeah, i dont think id drill it out. buying a tap big enough to rethread that hole would be expensive.

Duane

·
Registered
690 Posts
Heat will work but you must heat the area evenly, or risk cracking the case. The 2 different types of metal expand and contract at different rates, so once it is warm the plug will screw out.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
or drill a hole through it and tap in a 1/2 inch pipe plug.the hole will be smaller,but it will do the job.biggest problem i foresee is getting all the filings out .not a big problem if you can get the lower plug out and rinse the pieces out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts