Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive tried the search function, got 3 results, tried manually searching for like 2-3 days... i have an 89 ramcharger 100 series 4x4 not sure if its D or W... im not normally a dodge guy but the price was perfect so just getting into dodge.. normally a chevy guy, anyways its got that 3sp auto.. the 85 mile speedo.. lookin to change that to a 5sp for better fuel... what is compatible? i understand auto for auto... ultimately when i get more money ill be settin up a better engine and that coveted 6sp t56 magnum trans.. but til then i gotta patch it with a 5sp auto... help!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
D is 2WD, W is 4WD and usually an A prefix is added for Ramcharger so you have an '89 AW100, though I was thinking all the Ramchargers that late were 150s, but it's all the same basically.

As for the transmission, you will have a 727 3 speed auto with the NP241 transfer case.  A slightly later A518 (aka 46RH) 4 speed will swap in with a few modifications.  No 5 speed auto will swap in easily due to all of them being computer controlled.  A 5 speed manual is also available, but it will be an NV4500 and those command a high price due to their popularity in swaps.  A TREMEC T56 would need a lot of modification to convert to 4WD and would need a custom bellhousing to mate to a Mopar engine and I don't think I would want a transmission that light in a 4WD truck.  They have a nice HP rating, but they are not designed for a 3 ton truck.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
If the end result will be a manual, might as well get those mods settled and avoid spending anything on an automatic trans controller. The OD autos are quite long and require significant changes in driveshaft lengths. AFAIK, manuals and the 727 are fairly close.

As Elwenil said, NV4500 is ideal as it came in the 92-93 trucks.

There might be other manuals from Dakota, Jeep Liberty, or later Rams (gas) that could possibly work. 6-speed manuals started in 2005 for Dakota & Liberty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the badge on the fender says 100.. so not sure. as for mods, im looking for realativly basic as the end goal is actually gonna be (blasphemy i know chevy in a dodge but the goals im wanting are specific and havin a hard time finding compatibility with dodge) a supercharged LSX 376 B15 mated to the t56 from G-force (rated to 1200hp) with the doubler transfer case for low and extra low crawl/short pulling. until the end goal is completed as i said just lookin for something to knock down gas a little.. if i find the right priced engine/trans combo, i would put the 5.9 magnum from a dakota or something in it for now. so for now i will be looking for that 46rh or a combo to drop in.. a while ago i saw a 5.9 with a 5sp auto for like 800 on craigslist. maybe that supplier still has one available

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
while the nv4500 IS a 5 speed and the 46rh is ONLY a 4 speed they both have only 1 gear of overdrive .. I'd just go for the supercharger gm set up you really want , or a v6 Dakota with a 5 speed for the gas you also want  .

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Buy a 5-speed beater with a heater to drive.

Lay up the RC while you work toward your goal. No sense in doing it twice. Just a CTD/5spd swap in a 2wd RC is taking me forever.  :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the truck cost me 500 bucks from a family friend... and its my work truck... right price so layin it up for extended periods is impossible... my setup will cost about 15 to 20g the lsx is about 10, the supercharger is about 5 and the trans is about 5... sooo til then i will be looking for the 5.9/trans combo.. thanks for all the imputs everyone!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
IMO, your time is better spent on some side jobs to afford a second vehicle.

No swap like that will go smoothly when you're relying on it for daily transport. Murphy's Law.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.