Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 1987 ramcharger. When I start it in the mornings and put it in drive and give it gas it takes off real "slow". But it takes off and does just fine once it gets going..Anyone got any ideals....Fluid was changed last year and is full...
curt/ky

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
If the fluid is at full on the dipstick when hot, you can try letting it warm up with the tranny in neutral. Fluid doesn't circulate when it's in park.

Is this a new problem? It may be worth dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter again. Adjust the bands while you're in there.

Ted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cooper30 said:
If the fluid is at full on the dipstick when hot, you can try letting it warm up with the tranny in neutral. Fluid doesn't circulate when it's in park.

Is this a new problem? It may be worth dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter again. Adjust the bands while you're in there.

Ted
It sat still for about a month and a half while I was donig some body work on it and it started doing the slow pulling when cold after the sat...
curt/ky

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
its called dodgeidis or in laymans terms / dodgeisnomoviscoldis / there is a check ball it the T /C input shaft that is suppose to keep the T/C full over night or longer / what happens is the check ball sticks open and over night the T/C drains into the tranny / so when you start it in the morning and drop it into gear pretty much nothing happens / till the T/C fills back up / the remedy is to either rebiuld it or start the truck in neutral and let it run for a minute / it WILL not hurt anything / l start all my DODGES in neutral anyways its just good practice / that and the 727 tranny does not pump much fluid in park and pumps full pressure in neutral

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
It just may be worth doing the fluid/filter change, especially if it just sat for a while. There may be some crud clogging the filter.

Try letting it warm up for 5 minutes or so with it in N and see if it helps. I know on real cold mornings up here, I've had to let my older Dodges warm up 5-10 minutes in neutral to get much movement. (but I'm talking -20 to -30)

727s are tough trannys. The fact that it's sluggish when cold makes me think there's a fluid problem rather than a tranny problem. Especially if it ran fine before you parked it.

Ted

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Bogger has the right answer,my tranny complains in the morning too,when i drop pan next time i will drill out the port to fill the torque in park and i can check fluid level in park as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts