Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 82 rc with a 727 trans... the shift linkage right where it connects to the trans(the nipple on the rail that plugs into the hole on the flat piece that comes off the trans) keeps popping out... shift linkage doesnt have much slack in it... fixed that issue already... any suggestions cause im damn close to just deleting and putting in a b&m or other such creature floor shifter...

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
There is probably a plastic grommet inside the plate that comes off the trans? or at least where the rod from the firewall hooks in. 

Those grommets are one time use only and should be replaced anytime the linkage is removed.  Not sure where to buy but maybe NAPA.

Also the linkage is very very difficult to drive in and through the grommet, it takes a good squeeze with some channel locks to make it happen.  Make sure yours are fully seated.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
22,087 Posts
There should be a grommet at each end of the short linkage section which connects to the tranny's shift lever, MH.  Are you missing this piece by any chance?   ;D

·
Registered
22,087 Posts
v737d said:
There is probably a plastic grommet inside the plate that comes off the trans? or at least where the rod from the firewall hooks in.

Those grommets are one time use only and should be replaced anytime the linkage is removed. Not sure where to buy but maybe NAPA.

Also the linkage is very very difficult to drive in and through the grommet, it takes a good squeeze with some channel locks to make it happen. Make sure yours are fully seated.
Beat me to it, Chris. LOL :)

If not at NAPA or someplace similar, try a local tranny shop. ;D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the grommet in the flat bar piece... will not stay in there even popped in using pliers til it bottomed out and it still pops out... even tried a couple of zip ties helped some but it still popped out... grommet thing is a lil white plastic piece that came in a pack of shift linkage bushings in the "help" brand section of the parts store do i need to get the rubber one frum napa... or is the one i have ok... and do i have other issues...

·
Registered
22,087 Posts
madd_hatter_rc1979 said:
got the grommet in the flat bar piece... will not stay in there even popped in using pliers til it bottomed out and it still pops out... even tried a couple of zip ties helped some but it still popped out... grommet thing is a lil white plastic piece that came in a pack of shift linkage bushings in the "help" brand section of the parts store do i need to get the rubber one frum napa... or is the one i have ok... and do i have other issues...
The crap in the HELP! section is counterfeit Red Chinese junk, MH. Try NAPA or the stealership for the good stuff and you shouldn't have any problems afterward. ;D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will hit the napa tomorrow then... thx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.