Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 ramcharger trans won’t do that last big shift to drop the rpm on the highway over 50 mph. Is that the fourth gear or is that overdrive. It suddenly stopped working a few months ago and I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s the overdrive or fourth gear

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
The overdrive, is the 4th gear. The easy way to tell, is get up to 65-70 ease off the pedal, and push the OD off button, you should easily feel the RPMs pick up when it shifts back to 3rd.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
On my 95 Ram you could feel the rpm's drop when it went into OD (4th) & when the convertor locked up, almost like a 5th gear.

Kickdown linkage being out of adjustment can cause shifting issues too.

On my Olds Toronado I kept the shifter in Drive (3) unless out on the highway. This was recommended to me by the dealer.

Bucky

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes I agree the O.D. and the lock -up BOTH produce a felling same as a shift into another gear . yes push the dash "od button" lit it should be OFF . push it again see if it "shifts"  They should when the engine and trans are warm , shift at 42 + mph if your NOT too hard on the gas . there is trans oil pressures that make it shift , and electric sensors that prevent a shift , plus that button . First thing to do is check the fluid level , warm and in neutral .
                  then flash codes , then wiring .  ( the 1 power lead for the 2 solenoids IN the trans is the same power that feeds the HEATED 0-2 sensors , that lead is known to burn up ... )  2 of my '93's have done that ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.