Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, cant find in the haynes or FSM.
on the 727 auto which line to the cooler is supply and return? and which side of the bottom of the rad do they go in?
currently they were not installed, there is a small tranny cooler in front of the rad.
the line on the right side of the rad goes from the rad to the cooler.
thats all that is connected right now.
i am putting in a bigger cooler and would like to get the lines flowing in the proper direction.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Off the top of my head, this is how my 78 is setup, the forward port is the line out which connects to the drivers side of the radiator. Passenger side out from the radiator would connect to the trans cooler, trans cooler out connects to rear port on the trans.

·
Registered
29,347 Posts
your diagram is semi correct / on a stock truck with plow or towing package trans cooler all you hafta do is switch the red and blue lines on the RAD / its a minor detail and either way will work

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Nah, I think he's saying that the hot line from the transmission should go to the auxiliary cooler first.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
There isn't a right way or a wrong way for this really.

·
29,538 Posts
Elwenil said:
Nah, I think he's saying that the hot line from the transmission should go to the auxiliary cooler first.
I can't speak for the factory plow equipped trucks, but I do know that the normal way (with towing package) they did (and still do) is to go through the radiator first, then the external cooler. I don't see the logic in going the other way. {noclue}

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Not this dead horse again.

Yep, outlet is always near the converter, since the converter is what creates the heat.

My vote goes for a external screw on filter somewhere along those inlet/outlet lines. Could even use the extra long filter for that. Gonna cost ~$30-$40 for filter/bracket/fittings, but then after that, it's normal napa replacement filters off the shelf.

·
Registered
29,347 Posts
yup l,m colored blind you caught me / yes the red and yellow

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. got er hooked up . went through the rad first as that makes the most sense.
ended up finding a nice large cooler from an 89 W350 diesel parts truck i have here. its at least 3-4 times the size of the one that was in this w100.

now that i have your attention here. there are 2 vaccum lines coming up from the tranny area to the pass. side fender area. one line is connected to a small square device on the fender which has multiple outlets. most of which are capped. theother vaccum hose coming from the tranny is connected to nothing... any ideas where it should hook up? the size of the tubing is too small for any of the remaining outlets on that device.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
rumbleram said:
thanks guys. got er hooked up . went through the rad first as that makes the most sense.
ended up finding a nice large cooler from an 89 W350 diesel parts truck i have here. its at least 3-4 times the size of the one that was in this w100.

now that i have your attention here. there are 2 vaccum lines coming up from the tranny area to the pass. side fender area. one line is connected to a small square device on the fender which has multiple outlets. most of which are capped. theother vaccum hose coming from the tranny is connected to nothing... any ideas where it should hook up? the size of the tubing is too small for any of the remaining outlets on that device.
I have older axles in my truck, but there will be no vacuum lines to the transmission if you have a 727. These lines should be coming from a switch on the transfer case that sends vacuum to the CAD axle. If you have a mis-matched transfer case/front axle the lines would serve no purpose. If the CAD has been locked you could remove the whole mess and install a switch off of an older 208 and have a power source to an indicator light. (Or, it might be a ground for the indicator light.)

I believe you should have a vacuum canister (booster) somewhere that might have a possible vacuum leak, depending on status of the transfer case.

I picked up a newer transfer case for my truck and switched the vacuum switch for the electrical switch on the busted case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is a 727 with 241 t-case. not mix-matched at all.
there is definately a vac canister mounted to the tanny crossmember beside the transfer case, this will be where the 2 lines im talkin bout come from. but where the one line should go to is a mystery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts