Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the TD has a 727 in it. I assume it's original and probably has never been rebuilt. When I take off, I can hear it whining (a real low pitched whine) and it whines all the way through the gears. I'm betting it's the transmission since I can hear the gear shifts in the whine. I'm sure it does this at high speed too, but the engine and ambient noise filter it out. When the tranny is all warmed up, the whining continues. It doesn't get any quieter.

I checked the fluid level when warm and idling. It was full. There weren't a bunch of bubbles on the dipstick and it was pretty good looking. It didn't smell burnt or anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wyattells said:
Check the u joints in the drive shaft
Interesting. I never thought of that. Do you think it may also be the CV joint coming from the front of the t-case?

What am I looking for when I check my u joints?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Ive seen a vibrating drive shaft cause a low vibration/wine before. It drove me crazy finding it just look for excessive movement in the joint or a dry joint. Other than that its probably the front pump in the trans

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooooh, I don't like that 'in the trans' part of the sentence. I'm freaking broke! Perhaps I should start saving for a rebuild? :-\

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Ive been priceing a rebuild for mine the price runns between $650 and $1000 here. It should be about the same in your area

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Methinks I should take the transmission portion of the Diesel Tech course first and save...oh, I dunno...about $900 on a tranny rebuild! Damn trucks, such a pain in the ass...in a good way. ;D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you hearing it with the radio off? I know that you said "low pitched whine", but a bad radio ground usually causes a HIGH pitched whine through the speakers. And the whine progresses as the engine revs.

Just a thought.
Gonzo

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Dakota did the same thing. Even the Mech thought it was the tranny. turned out it was the ring and pinion. Put the truck on a lift and have some one watch while it goes through the gears. See if everything is moving the right way. Thats how we found that my pinion was walking off the ring gear.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SortaRican said:
Are you hearing it with the radio off? I know that you said "low pitched whine", but a bad radio ground usually causes a HIGH pitched whine through the speakers. And the whine progresses as the engine revs.

Just a thought.
Gonzo
Yep, I can hear it when the radio is off. I'm gonna get under it tonight and check the u joints first. Then, I'm going to move to the lift and check the diffs

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
My friend's '95 Ram has a similar whine. Our trusted tranny tech said it was most likely the accumulator valve sticking?

Have no idea what this valve is or what it does, but he said it won't really hurt anything (the trans in question is in need of a rebuild though---one of those "nothing you can do so drive it until it dies" deals)

Just thinking out loud...

-SM

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i know a good tranny shop also:D Eastside Transmission once again in bellevue right in behind Lens Automotive... they built the tranny in my 68 dart

1 - 13 of 13 Posts