Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual tranny in my truck now its a 1982 dodge w300 with a 360 and a np208 transfercase. first gear is granny gear. i have a 727 np208 combo to put in. will it bolt right in? can i use my existing driveshaft? whats the best way to rebuild these trannys? ::) im not sure what the tranny is that is in it now

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
mxer125250f said:
I have a manual tranny in my truck now its a 1982 dodge w300 with a 360 and a np208 transfercase. first gear is granny gear. i have a 727 np208 combo to put in. will it bolt right in? can i use my existing driveshaft? whats the best way to rebuild these trannys? ::) im not sure what the tranny is that is in it now
your manual tranny is going to be an np435, great tranny's.

first i must ask why you want to swap tranny's?

next, yes your auto tranny will swap in but you are gonna need alot of extra parts for the conversion

eric

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Welcome to the Site. Does your radiator have tranny cooling line fittings? You will need those, as well as the cooling lines. You will need the kickdown linkage. This is a must; you'll burn up that tranny without it. There was some difference in the way the crankshaft was drilled, so you will hafta take care of that, but I can't remember off the top of my head what is required. The cross-member might be different, as well as the speedo cable. All in all, it wouldn't be that hard to do.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I actually prefer my automatic. I like it cause it has some give on ice, not like a manual where you gotta slip the clutch for an easy start. Same with pulling a load. However, I don't think an auto belongs in an 18-wheeler.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
mxer125250f said:
well i am putting a manual valve body in it and why do you guys think i shouldnt swap
I'll admit that the 727 is a great transmission, but it's an automatic. To make it perform you'd have to install a manual valve body simply to mimic what you already have with the 4 speed.

I'd keep the manual, unless you have physical limitations that prevent you from driving with one.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts