Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up all, I figured out that 4L situation if anyone saw it in the vehicle help board. Thanks for all your help. I have another question for you all now. We have a '90 Ramcharger parts truck out in our yard with a 318 4-spd. I was wondering, would it be feasable to put that tranny into my '85 Ram shortbox 318? It has an auto right now and I was just wondering how much this would entail and if it is worth it. Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It would bolt up fine, but the problems would lie in the clutches and how to do the clutch pedal. I don't know if it was originally an auto if the support brackets are under the dash or not, but if you have a complete donor it should be easy enough. You will also need to take the flexplate off of the 85 and swap in the one from the 90.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
No way, it`ll NEVER fit...but you can sell it to me..lol.Seriously i think an almost bolt in swap.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I think you will need the manual transmission crank shaft...
-Steve C.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
or just use the 318 bolted to it.

the clutch pedal aint crap. plus in 1990 they may well have used a hydaulic clutch master cylinder which may simplify things. how much work are you willing to do? this would ential possible welding but at very minimal drilling and minor cutting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts