Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a perfectly good 518 in my 90 that i use with my 4.10's and 35's through my 241. I've also got a 727 from an 84 that was bolted to a 360. My understanding is that the 518 is just the 727 with the od bolted on the output shaft.

My questions are....

1) is this the case, is the 518 identical to the 727 with the exception of the od on the end?

2) could the od be swaped from one tranny to the other?

3) could i rebuild the 727 with all the aftermarket goodies, valve bodie, bands, etc. and then just slap the od unit on it when i'm done?

If it was possible, I was thinking of rebuilding the 727, taking my sweet time to save for all the good parts and build it myself very carefully. I'd like the experience. Then, whenever it's eventually done, just dropping the current tranny, taking off the od and slapping it on the 727 and putting it back in the truck, reducing downtime. I think i've read the od goes out a lot, but it was because of poor oil circulation? So, can it be done ( a very different question from can I do it, which will remain to be seen).

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i dont think so. if it were that simple, everytime someone rebuilt a 727, they would add an od from an a518.

Duane

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If we only had a FSM, we might be able to figure it out, huh? LOL

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
actually, there were quite a few tranny books on ebay to. maybe u should snag one while ur bidding on my fsm ;)

Duane

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
They are NOT the same. In basic design, they are the same, and use a lot of identical components. But there are enough differences in the VB and case to make the 727/OD housing combo nearly impossible.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The OD unit is much larger where it bolts to the case, the 727 case has nothing there where some of the OD unit mounting bolts go. I don't mean lack of holes, the OD housing literaly hangs in thin air in spots when butted up to the back of a 727.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, well, that answers my questions. Thanks guys

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CLRracer said:
i dont think so. if it were that simple, everytime someone rebuilt a 727, they would add an od from an a518.

Duane
LOL, I think we should review the bid history to see who was the first bidder. Me thinkist you are coveting my fsm ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts