Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a few tranny questions, and wanted to see if anyone can answer them. I have a 73 P/W with a 318/727/divorced 205.
I would like to install a 5-speed, but I do not want the hassle of the linkage for the clutch.
I had a 435 but went through clutches every 3 months since the linkage wasn’t right. I bought all new linkage from the dealer ($500.00 7 years ago) and it still ran through clutches. So I swapped in the 727. Did Dodge install a hydraulic clutch with a S/B in the 80’s/90’s? If they did, I might switch to that setup, with a 5-speed.

If I can’t install a 5-speed, then I would like to install a 518. I have read several articles on the site about the 518. From what I’ve read, the 518 will work, but will have to have a switch installed for the overdrive. My questions are:
1. Do they make a short-shaft 518 with a bolt on yoke? If so, what application would have one?
2. What is the length of a 518 bolt-on yoke?
3. What is the length of a 518 with a slip-on yoke
4. If a 518 does not have a bolt on yoke, could I use a slip-on yoke and mate the other end to the 205 with a very short shaft?
5. Has anyone done this ora have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance for your info.

Manny

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
yes the 5 speeds had hydraulic clutches. also don't forget taht the 518 is nearly a foot longer then a 727 just because it has a overdrive unit it on it. If you went 518 , youwould probably have to do away with the divorced t case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I wanted to keep the 205. I have a short bed, so don't think I can move the Transfercase back that far without running into driveline angle problems. Will probably change to the 5-speed. A CTD swap is in the plans, so I will be looking for a 2wd CTD 5-speed.
Thanks Again,

Manny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts