Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1986 RC w/ a 360 4bbl 4x4 with an auto trans. I really don't know what transmission is in this truck, 727??. My question is that I have a tranny leak coming from where the shifter linkage bolts in. I'm leaking a good bit out of there and wated to know if this was something the average Joe can repair or would a tranny shop have to fix this? hunting season is coming and the last thing I want to do is to be stranded on the hunting lease.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
781 Posts
It sounds like your leak is coming from where the shift lever shaft goes into the transmission. To fix it, take a 7/16 wrench and undo the throtle kickdown linkage bolt and the shift lever bolt. Pry the levers off of the shaft. Using a small screwdriver, pry the old seal out of its bore. Be careful not to scratch the lever shaft or the seal bore, and drive in a new seal with a 15/16 socket and a hammer.
Thats the instructions given in the atsg torqueflight manual for 727s. If the valve body is removed from the transmission it is as simple as driving the old seal out of the case with a punch and driving in a new one.
Hope this helps....
C.J.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Make sure its coming out of there and not the pan gasket, cuz when you drive, any fluids drippin from anywhere will be pushed back cuz of the wind. Make sure its not drippin from something above it or in front of it.

Just my experience...hope it helps

thanks
adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts