Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys....need some get techy vice...I have developed a nasty tranny leak some where. here's the prob...can't find it. I pop the hood and see tranny fluid every where. So, I clean off all the hoses and wipe down everything else. Put some more fluid in it and cruise around the drive way....nothing. Drive to the store down the road (1 mile) and back. Pop the hood.....tranny fluid every where again. clean it all up again and pull the fan shroud. at the bottom of the radiator is fluid. Doesn't sound good for the radiator does it? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
You need a new radiator! I am betting that if you pop your radiator cap, your antifreeze is red. Buy a new radiator, and get an external tranny cooler, don't use one that is integral with the radiator. You probably have a leak somewhere in the core, and it is leaking into the fins. Once you add engine rpm's the fan kicks it all over the engine bay.

·
Registered
30,032 Posts
just get the tranny cooler and by-pass the RAD / no need for a new one

·
Registered
200 Posts
What I have done in the past for some of my other vehicles; is to, buy a manual transmission radiator. If you bypass the radiator for your tranny cooling and go with an external cooler, the manual transmission radiator might save you a few bucks. I am not sure on price of a radiator for you vehicle but its something to consider. The manual transmission radiator should bolt right in place, if I am wrong someone will correct me.

Streak-O-Lean

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why did I know that's what was gonna be said. :mad:

so now that I have to get a new one...what type of specs should I look for? 1-4 rows? any gain for going with more?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
do u need a new radiator? maybe there was just a leak on the tranny cooler side. get an external cooler first, and bypass the radiator, and see what that does. that way u dont buy a new radiator u might not need.

Duane

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Check your tranny fluid for antifreeze!!! If it's contaminated, it has to be flushed pronto or it will screw up the tranny..

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
Check your tranny fluid for antifreeze!!! If it's contaminated, it has to be flushed pronto or it will screw up the tranny..
i used to ahve a nice picture of a large pile of shavings that used to be the inside of a tranny from this happening.

eric

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
I may just have spoken too soon before ::), but hopefully it is just the tranny cooler element leaking, not inside the radiator its self.
Definately check your tranny fluid.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well on my truck, an 88, the tranny cooler is seperate from the radiator. I have a towing package on mine, and the cooler is in front of the radiator and almost the same size as it. It's huge. If my tranny cooler were to develop a leak, i would just replace the cooler, not the radiator.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No other fluid is leaking as I can tell. everything is still red. just sitting at the bottom part of the radiator...and of course the fan has the honors of throwing every where else.

I've never flushed a radiator and did some looking into it. Some say yea....some say nay.....of course ifn ya gots gunk in it then I can see you doing it. So....I'll ask my fellow Mopar bretheren how I should go about doing this task?

Thx

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
If your radiator is working fine, and you have no pink tranny fluid in the trans, and no soapy radiator fluid, just put on an external trans cooler and bypass the one in the rad. I would plug the holes in the radiator where the trans lines go with the correct fittings as cheap insurance, and go from there. If you do need a new radiator, you will soon find out, and you will be out the money for the trans cooler, but..you can always continue to use it and get a manual trans rad as mentioned. If the radiator works with no leaks, then you just saved a bunch of money by getting the external cooler vise a new radiator.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
As long as there's no traces of antifreeze in the tranny fluid, you're ok. If yours is like my '89, the tranny cooler is interlaced within the radiator, and the water and tranny fluid are only separated by 1 layer of thin metal. If a tube breaks between the two circuits, they will cross-contaminate, and your tranny will be toast if you drive it with antifreeze in it. I meant you would have to flush the tranny immediately, not the radiator. I would say replace the whole radiator, since if one leak has already sprung, another won't be far behind. If your budget permits, use a rad from a manual and get a separate tranny cooler and put it in front of the rad (in front of the condensor if you have AC)

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah...think i'm going to go the route of the tranny cooler as well. That looks like a purty simple install. how bout a tranny flush? that's what i was refering to in the above post. Little iffy about how to go about it after reading several things on the net.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if there is no pink color to the trans fluid on the dipstick, you don't need to flush it.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
odds are if you are seeing the fluid outside of radiator then it shouldnt be the internal cooler, it is probably leaking from one of the connections at the bottom of radiator.

eric

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
that was kinda my thought too, but I figured thathad already been checked.

I did have a rad once that leaked from the fittign that goes into the internal part....come to thik of it, it's the same one inthe truck right now....just plugged it and stopped using the internal cooler...no more problem.

·
29,446 Posts
I don't recall if you mentioned if you have an auxiallry cooler or not, if you don't, ignore this.......If do have an auxillary cooler and you don't have any cross-contamination of fluids, and it seams to be getting all over the engine compartment, check your connections and hoses at the auxillary cooler, they could be leaking and the fluid is getting sucked through by the fan.
To check this, you'd have to remove your radiator to get to it.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Being that the fluid is on the outside of the radiator, I really feel there is nothing wrong with the radiator tranny cooler. Check the two hoses and connections connecting the lines to the radiator. I've seen high pressure hoses for tranny lines get so hard that they won't seal up even when clamped down tight. It could be squirting right up on the fan throwing it back behind the shroud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts