Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I am having some new major issues with my Tranny in my 1989 Dodge Ram W250 (727)
.  It was recently rebuilt with some minor mods ( we plugged up the vent hole and drilled a new one in the side of the case (while the tranny was all apart) and installed a longer transmission dipstick tube (I do alot of water 4x4ing and wanted to make the tranny a bit more water resistant) 

It had some issues with the dipstick tube (tranny) leaking alot of fluid, today I took it out and cleaned it up and sealed it back in with a good amount of silicon around it.  It now appears to have stopped leaking and fits good.

However later today I wanted to drive it and check it out to make sure it no longer leaks.  I did lose alot of tranny fluid but not enough to fill it back up without checking it.  I decided to run the truck and drive it around the corner to get it hot and then check on the fluid. 

However right away I noticed that it was hard to move (engine sputters and it bearly rolls)  it did not do this before I sealed up the dipstick tube today.  it started smoking and the moment shut the motor off and removed the dipstick the fluid came shooting out of tube, all over the engine and front grill (like 3 feet)  I ran it again with no dipstick and it still had the tranny issues but no longer spewed all over the place.  Once the motor is shut off it spews the fluid out of the dipstick tube.

I also notice smoking coming from the front of the tranny when I put it under load.  At Idle it seems fine, but under load in gear its giving me this problem.

I had the tranny rebuilt by a friend and it worked good, only had a few adjustment issues and vacuum lines that I had to addresss recently, but other than that it was driving good, until I sealed up the transmission dipstick tube?

What could be going on,  I can if you like post a video on youtube later on if that can help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
i am not a expert with automatic transmisions but i would bet that the silicon has traveled to a spot and is causing your problem.    maybe you got lucky and it just plugged up the filter.
i would pull the cover and look.  if it got past that it could be a real mess.  good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can you take a picture of were you relocated the vent.  It could be that it is to low preventing the trans case from venting when the atf expands from being warmed up. The location of the vent is critical.

Is the fluid all bubbly(foam)  when you first start it up and drive it before it starts shooting out?

When the fluid becomes aerated it wont apply the clutches with much force (air compresses and fluid doesn't.  Kind of like air in the brake lines.) and allows it to slip.  Hopefully you haven't wasted your rear clutch pack.

·
Registered
29,359 Posts
just by looking at it your vent is to low / plus if it is puking fluid out confirms the vent is to low / now did you extend the dip stick also when you extended the dip stick tube

the correct way to vent a 727 is to weld or tap in a brass 90 degree fitting into the original vent hole and then drill a hole in the bell for the hose to go out

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I kept the dipstick out of the van, its different from the stock one, but I just use it as a reference and place it beside each other to get the corrent reading.

Yeah it's gotta be the vent tube forsure, going to have to get back to the drawing board.  I see what you mean now.  I did not do my homework properly and now - I did ask a few people and the general response what just to vent it! ???

It's cool though good learning lesson I guess lol.  Time to drop it back out and re-engineer it!  no use crying over spilt tranny fluid, I am gonna suck it up and just fix it!

Thanks again for all your help guys!

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
When you pull out the pump make sure that you check you rear clutch for burnt clutches. 

I have install ed the vent 2 ways.  One like the Dodge boys said and the way I'm doing mine will be similar to what you are doing except dead center at top and closer to the pump.

I do want to add the long dipstick, mines the early really short [email protected]#%$er that requires lots of climbing and bending just to check it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have done some additonal research, it may not be the vent tube.  I blew into the vent line and tranny FL. came pouring out of the dipstick tube!  I may have over-filled it causing it to have the problems I am having.

I took the pan off drained it and later today I am gonna re-try it.

Will let you guys know how I make out!

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts