Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that my rig has a factory trac-loc.... chrysler 9.25 rearend. 1986 ramcharger 360 4 barrel federal model (whatever that means) is there a way to tel if you have a trac-loc without pulling the diff cover? and please in english what is a tracloc?

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
It's like a version of GM's posi......it's a limited slip differential

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That's what I have in my RC, it's basically a light duty limited-slip. If you park on level ground and jack up one tire, then put it in nutral, and try to turn the tire. If it turns freely, it's an open rear. If it doesn't, then it DOE'S have a trac-lock. But, if turns like somethings draging ( so to speak ) then the trac-lock is worn out and needs rebuilt.
The trac-lock works O.K. for normal driving on pavement, but really sucks for offroading.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
it is better than open, which really sucks.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
kahless said:
I thought limited slip would be better than an open diff? why would a trac loc suck offroad?
If you're articulated really good, it basically turns back into an open diff. because it's being worked too hard ( the clutches get too hot and won't lock up so to speak.) The Auburn unit ( cone type ) is the heavy duty unit and would brobably work a hell of a lot better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts