Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here know how to set up the TPS on an 87 cherokee using a voltmeter???? its usually done with a diagnostic computer but i neither have one nor can i afford to have it done at a shop... any help would be great since i have to bring the baby out of storage and start driving it again till i get my motor.... here are pics of the connectors and wires leading to the TPS.... ps sorry bout how big they are but my wife is the grafix person not me....

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/moparv8nut

the pics are in there under jeep stuff

ok. that problem is taken care of. worked beautifully BUT not the *@&$#^ wont start. ran fine this morning now nothing. i have heard that the if the CPS goes out they wont start or run at all. any ideas???? also i ran a multimeter on the starter relay and came back with nothing from the rest of the connections. this is really pissin me off

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
l,ll post the info you need at lunch
but it should just be a three wire sensor
ground
5.0 volt reference
signal out
most will run at .45 volts at idle and 4.5 to 5.0 volts wide open
this info is just off the top of my head

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well since m y pics didn't show up its a 6 wire set up. 3 going into each plug. one is for the computer and the other is for the trans. as far as i know anyway...

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
its NOT a tps sensor its a idle stepper motor / it controls throttle decel so it dont back fire and bumps the idle up if you turn the AC or lights on plus it shuts the throttle on turn off so it dont deseil / this is the BBS carter with the fuel control solenoid on the back side / these things are junk / get rid of the whole sytem / de-smog it and then put a 318 carb on it

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is not in my PW its in my 87 cherokee... 4.0l I6 multi port efi. i dont have a carb and yes it is the TPS.

i dont mean to sound like a dick or anything its just been a long night...

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
an 87 should have a carb according to my Motors manual / no EFI till 88 / the book lists the 87 as a AMC and then as a Mopar in 88 / you could have a mid-year change over / l,ll look it up as a 88

·
7,995 Posts
A/T - AW4 Throttle Position Sensor (TP)

DATE: 1996

TECHNICAL BULLETIN # 324A

TRANSMISSION: AW4

SUBJECT: Throttle Position Sensor

APPLICATION: 1987-95 Jeep Cherokee

AW4 (Jeep)

Throttle Position Sensor (TP)

The 1987-90 sensor has two pigtail leads. One has an in-line three pin connector, containing three wires. The other has a square four pin connector with three wires. The square connector is the one that is used for the transmission controller. These wires can be identified by the letters which are stamped into the connector.

Adjustment is simple, although backward by most TP standards. With the harness connected, test the voltage on pins A, B, & D. The voltage on pin "A" (reference voltage) should be approximately 5v.

NOTE : TP malfunctions are rarely caused by low voltage on pin "A".

Voltage on pin "D" (ground) should be less than 0.1v. If the voltage is higher, an additional ground wire can be spliced into the circuit.

Pin "B" is the TP signal to the controller. The voltage on pin "B" should be 4.0-4.4v at closed throttle. At full throttle, the voltage should be 0.2-0.5v. The TP sensor has elongated holes for the hold-down screws which allow it to be adjusted.

The most common failure on this sensor is a spike of voltage at approximately 1/4-1/3 throttle. If this condition exists, the TP must be replaced. The most common complaints for this sensor are in and out of lock-up and erratic shift timing.

In 1991 Chrysler changed the TP design to one that was more conventional. Now, instead of having two harness connectors (one for the engine controller, the other for the transmission controller), they share the sensor signal from a common wire. Testing this sensor is similar to the earlier design (1987-90), however, the sensor signal is low at an idle and increases as the throttle is opened. Full-throttle voltage is approximately 4.5v. Signal voltage should change smoothly as the throttle is moved. If the signal moves erratically or is not within specifications, the sensor must be replaced, it is not adjustable.

Year Cylinder Part Numbers

1987-1990 2.54 cyl. 33000169

1987-1990 4.O6 cyl. 33004650

1991-1993 2.54 cyl. 4626051

1991-1993 4.06 cyl. 4626051

1994-1995 2.54 cyl. 4761871

1994-1995 4.06 cyl. 4761871

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx chump. and for everyone else thank you! the 4.0l never came carbed period. only the 2.8l and the 2.5 came carbed. the 4.2l was carbed till it was scrapped by chrysler in 91? i think.. when they dropped the 4.0 into the wranglers. but the 4.0 was designed soley for MPFI so i dont know why your books say it should be carbed unless whent hey wrote it they got one that someone had gutted the efi and carbed it.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
looked at it again and it dont even list the 4.0 till 88 / l can throw that book out / sorry about that

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh no problem. i just dont want anyone to have misinformation ya know??:D

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BUMP! i need help. its attatched to the original message!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was being a bonehead. i fogot to reset the computer in it so it would run right. did that last night befor i went to bed. now it runs great!

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
we will forgive you this time / LMFAO

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts