Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas on inexpensive tow hooks and where/how to mount them. Just need a temporary solution till I can get some shackle mounts. Thanks!

Pictures would be great too, if you got em.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Canadian military mounted theirs to the front crossmember using a 3/8 steel plate between the crossmember and the tow hooks. Ifyou look at your front crossmember, the holes are all ready in it.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the steel plate acts as a load dispersal? Do I need to get a specific tow hook or will any generic one do?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, some pics would be cool.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Ok here you can see how the hooks are positioned using the holes in the front of the frame rail and removing the rivet that holds the front X-member

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
Hay bogie, why don't you remove those shipping tabs ?? front and rear.....
O so thats what they are ::) & im not shure if I have them in the rear.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Yeah, they used them to tie them down during shipping. You should have some inthe bck too, right above the leaf springs, unless someone else removed them.

The dealer use to get $1 each if the took them off and returned them to the factory.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I knew the ones in the rear were shipping tie downs as they were on my RC I just never had anything with them in the front. :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Bogie, sorry to bring this post back but i just got a set of tow hooks and was wondering if the first bolt hole in the pictures was already drilled ??? and if the area you have them mounted in is strong enough to pull the truck from ??? sorry for the stupid questions.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Go look at your crossmember, yes there are some holes already drilled

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i know there holes already drilled but i wanted to make sure i mounted them in the right place. if i mount them were bogie mounted his would they be strong enough to pull the truck out of a stuck???

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If not they'll break off and you will still be stuck

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yes the first hole was already drilled & I have had to pull using my truck to un stick things without any problems :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i just noticed that you have a clip that holds the strap or chain in the hook and was wondering if that was something you made or if it came with your hooks???

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
alright one more question. i dont want to have to drill out the rivet so i was looking today and on the front crossmeber there is a hole and then i could use a piece of steel to mount to the other hole on the tow hook and run the steel to the first hole where Bogie has is at. sorry for this being confusing, but to you guys think this would work???

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That is what i did, i bridged the crossmember and bolted the hooks onto that

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
That will work fine as well I used the rivets since I already had 1 missing and wanted to replace it so everything just worked out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts