Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are y'all using for front tow hooks? I have stock bumpers front and rear. In the rear I'm installing a tow hitch with a receiver hook but I need something for the front. Preferably not a hook but something more along the lines of a D ring or clevis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before I had my good bumpers made I had some tow hooks from fwp that were bolted to the frame. I still have them if you want them. I also have a clevis that goes into the reciever hitch. if you have a hitch all you really need is the pin. then just poke the strap into the reciever and insert the pin works pretty good. Or you could find some of those stock chevy tow hooks that they come with. The ones on my wifes new Blazer are pretty stout and have more of a loop shape to them hook shapped tow hooks

·
29,447 Posts
I have tow hooks on mine, so I'll explain even, if you don't wanna hear about stinkin tow hooks!!!!!

If you look at the front crossmember you can see how it is sort of an upside down u-shape. What I did was cut some pieces of 3/8 thick steel, long enough to bridge the valley created by the "U" and about 2" wide. In fact, I think it already had holes in it to mount these plates.
Anyway, I bought the Jeep YJ (I think?) style tow hooks. They are a little longer than the regular ones and I think they had 3 mounting holes (IIRC, the shorter, two-hole tow hooks weren't long enough).
I put the front-most bolt through the hook, plate and the crossmember, then put a bolt through rear-most hole on the hook through the plate, which is about in the middle of the "valley". The middle hook bolt hole was not used.
If this doesn't make any sense, I can take a pic tonight. Let me know. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
KThaxton said:
I have tow hooks on mine, so I'll explain even, if you don't wanna hear about stinkin tow hooks!!!!!

If you look at the front crossmember you can see how it is sort of an upside down u-shape. What I did was cut some pieces of 3/8 thick steel, long enough to bridge the valley created by the "U" and about 2" wide. In fact, I think it already had holes in it to mount these plates.
Anyway, I bought the Jeep YJ (I think?) style tow hooks. They are a little longer than the regular ones and I think they had 3 mounting holes (IIRC, the shorter, two-hole tow hooks weren't long enough).
I put the front-most bolt through the hook, plate and the crossmember, then put a bolt through rear-most hole on the hook through the plate, which is about in the middle of the "valley". The middle hook bolt hole was not used.
If this doesn't make any sense, I can take a pic tonight. Let me know. ;)
I've seen him use his tow hooks too! :p

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I plan to mount a pair of receivers to the front of mine. But I got a winch bumper (no winch) that offers a few options to do that. I can't remember if there's anything on the frame to get in the way of mounting receivers directly to the underside (like spring hangers mabey)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I mounted my hooks using the frame holes just in front of the front cross member then drilled out the rivet in th X-mem replaced both with grade 8 bolts Done :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bogie said:
I mounted my hooks using the frame holes just in front of the front cross member then drilled out the rivet in th X-mem replaced both with grade 8 bolts Done :D
That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. Do the hooks hang down far enough to keep the tow strap from rubbing on the bottom edge of the bumper?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yes they do PG I have used them a few times since I did this without any prombems :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use the same type set up as Bogie, but I do carry a short strap to pull from both hooks at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I have the factory hooks on the 01, the 81 has a receiver in the rear and shackles on the front winch bumper.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Ford Superduty towhooks are the best I have seen so far. They are not a hook so much as a loop, so to speak. You need a clevis to attach the tow rope to them. I have a couple of sets lying around for use on my Dodge, I haven't figured out how I want them mounted yet though. Most likely right to the frame though. :)

They have three holes in a triangular shape on each of them for mounting to the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
KThaxton said:
Trenton, do me a favor, delete this thread before George see's it! ;D
Too late.

BWAH HAHAHAHAH

Yeah, I know I'm jinxing myself. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
GunPilot said:
Too late.

BWAH HAHAHAHAH

Thats ok, I think we're all going to be jinxed. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tv_larsen said:
GunPilot said:
Too late.

BWAH HAHAHAHAH

Thats ok, I think we're all going to be jinxed. ;D
That's why I'm asking about tow hooks. Not that I expect to ever have to use them, you understand. They just look cool when you wrap your tow strap around them.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
gmule said:
Before I had my good bumpers made I had some tow hooks from fwp that were bolted to the frame. I still have them if you want them. I also have a clevis that goes into the reciever hitch. if you have a hitch all you really need is the pin. then just poke the strap into the reciever and insert the pin works pretty good. Or you could find some of those stock chevy tow hooks that they come with. The ones on my wifes new Blazer are pretty stout and have more of a loop shape to them hook shapped tow hooks
You still got those tow hooks??

·
Registered
410 Posts
Best thing I've found for hitching a stap to is a pintle hitch. Plenty stout and locks closed. Have one on a reciever mount, and recievers front and rear, move it where it's needed.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I used some off a chevy...pretty stout. I also have a solid ring designed for a pintle hitch that slips into you receiver hitch. Found it on the side of the road. It's like a $50 piece at tractor supply. Solid cast. works awesome.

You may be able to see the hooks I used in the VA/NC chapter pics of uhwarrie run #4.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts