Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for big block torque specs on the site but did not find any. In other locations I have found torque specs for most of the fasteners on the big block except for the rocker covers. I know the covers don't need a lot of torque but what is the official spec? I am thinking like around 8 or 10 ftlbs.

Mac

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I never torgued a valve cover, but i use a nut driver and give it a fair twist

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I typically hear, but surely there has to be a spec.

Mac

Evildriver-3 said:
I never torgued a valve cover, but i use a nut driver and give it a fair twist

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There probably is a spec but why?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The short answer is that the vehicle was engineered with specs for a reason, and I like to keep my RC set up as close to specs as possible within the limits of what I have to work with. I'm sure you use specs at times, right?

Mac

ramit87 said:
There probably is a spec but why?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Im thinking valve covers are inch pounds, as long as it isn't crushed or leaking

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
Im thinking valve covers are inch pounds, as long as it isn't crushed or leaking
technically it is marty, it is something like 120 inch/lbs which converts to 10 ft/lbs

or you can use my method, tighten till the gasket cracks and back off a half a turn. lol

eric

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, that is my usual method too!

That is why I am checking for specs this time.

8)

intenseimages said:
Evildriver-3 said:
technically it is marty, it is something like 120 inch/lbs which converts to 10 ft/lbs

or you can use my method, tighten till the gasket cracks and back off a half a turn. lol

eric

·
Registered
190 Posts
The FSM for our 77's says 10 ft lbs. I don't cruise the tech board too much, so if you need something from the FSM just email me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts