Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am just trying to find out where to buy a new torque converter for my truck. I have a 1990 Dodge Ramcharger with the 5.2L in it it is 4X4. I suspect it is a A518 or 46RH but I was told that there a lot of different variations of torque converters for these transmissions. I am not a guy who know alot about a torque converter but I am trying to find out what type I need to go with the stock stuff and see if that fixes the issue I have been having. If you guys could help out with where to get one and what I need i would appreciate it because I kinda feel like a newby on this thing.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
You can try your local parts stores and see if they can get you one or try a transmission shop.  As far as variations it depends on Lock up or non lock up.  I'm sure your truck is non lock up.  and Hi and low stall.  I would bet you have low stall.

·
Registered
29,344 Posts
lets start over / what kind of issues are you have,ing / and you hafta to identify what tranny you have / do you have an OD button near the headlight switch

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have got the 46RH transmission. I have the OD button on the dash. I have been having these problems for a while and have just run out of options on things to replace. I have done ALL fuel components distributor timing chain and transmission solenoid in the pan also all fluids and filters. I posted a few months back what was going on and I have done all the stuff that was suggested. I am a mechanic in the army and am currently home on R&R and I am trying to get this thing right before I leave because my wife wants to drive it. I talked to a trans shop and they told me I would have to bring in my old converter so they could see if it was a lock up or not and see if it was a 90degree. My truck is still currently haveing the same issues it was having before I left it will not move out of it's own way. I have a 4 in suspension lift and a three inch body lift with 35in tires. the gearing is ok because it use to go pretty good from a stop. now it is like a dead dog until you hit like 1200-1400 RPM,s then it will pick up and move out. If you have heard of or have had a similar problem please help me out all suggestions are appreciated.

G

·
If it's the original setup, it's gonna be a non-lockup unit, also it is NOT a 90 degree unit. The 90 degree designation refers to a change in bolt pattern. That happened with 96 and newer units. They can be used on all pre-96 IF the 96 up flexplate is used as well. The other thing with 90 degree units is the balance weight for the 360 is on the flexplate instead of the converter.  

G

·
In your case, why not get a higher stall aftermarket unit? Something like a b&m holeshot, or something along those lines. Those tall tires have effectively changed your gear ratios, so a higher stall converter would help, just be sure to add a good transmission cooler as well. Your overdrive will thank you.

·
Registered
29,344 Posts
it sounds like you have the dredded and common problem of the low speed hessitation that bogs - spits and sputters and then takes off like a raped ape / and is usaully caused by a wiring problem or the PCM / have you pulled apart the connectors at the back of the right valve cover and cleaned and greased them

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not pulled the connectors apart. I had no idea that the connectors would do that to my rig. You said right side refering to passenger correct? and if that does not do anything where would I go from there? at this point I will do just about what ever it takes to get my baby back running right. is there anything else I should be looking for when I go to clean the plugs by the valve cover?  Also I have installed a good trans cooler looking to put in a temp guage next just getting the stuff together to do it with. What temp should a transmission run normally. and do I need to put the temp sensor on the inlet or outlet side of the cooler?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok I just pulled the connectors on the passenger side apart and cleaned them up really good and put new dielectric grease on everything. Still the same issue. any  other help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
EGR valve?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts