Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some burnouts in my 89 250 cummins and then later on that day while i was driving i heard a knocking sound. I took her home parked her and then the next morning i took the cover off and found a piece of my pinion gear. My gears are a very high ratio and i can only do 140 kmh at max rpm. I want to get lower ratio gears and i also want something that can take a little beating from doing burnouts. can anybody help me? what kind of gears should i be looking at getting?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Because diesels operate best at low engine rpm, it's not always a good idea with a diesel to lower the ratio more than a size or two. (Based on tire size.)

Face it, diesels make alot of torque, the kind that will break expensive parts if you abuse them. If you like smokey burnouts, don't stomp into the throttle. The shock load will tear up parts. Roll into the power and roll out easy.

There are gear set available that are stronger than stock, but then you'll start breaking axleshafts and twisting splines, etc.

Ed

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are u trying to say that theres no possible way to do burnouts with ur diesel truck without breaking something?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
bagged89 said:
so are u trying to say that theres no possible way to do burnouts with ur diesel truck without breaking something?
As I already said, roll into the throttle easy so that you don't shock load the parts. Your diesel makes as much torque as a well tuned 440, except you don't have to rev up the engine.

Your best bet is to be easy on it or get a much stronger axle.

Ed

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I always start off in 2nd since 1st is just pointless unless ur pulling. If i just let out the clutch and let it idle in 2nd and tramp on it the tires won't spin. so r u saying if im already moving and then rev it up a bit and let out the clutch it will be ok? sorry im only 16 and im not very educated on diesel engine drive lines obviously or i probably wouldn't be having this problem

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
bagged89 said:
Well I always start off in 2nd since 1st is just pointless unless ur pulling. If i just let out the clutch and let it idle in 2nd and tramp on it the tires won't spin. so r u saying if im already moving and then rev it up a bit and let out the clutch it will be ok? sorry im only 16 and im not very educated on diesel engine drive lines obviously or i probably wouldn't be having this problem
I see what you are doing. You are dumping the clutch. You are shock loading the entire drivetrain from the tranny all the way back to the rear axle. What shock loading means is you are suddenly placing huge forces on the drivetrain which was unloaded and at rest. So far your pinion is damaged but you could be causing damage to many other parts and don't know it. There can be stress fractures developing in any part, everytime you do this, and I wouldn't be surprised that once you fixed the pinion, that someother part fails.

When I said roll into the throttle, you may need to slip the clutch, unfortunately after a few times you may damage the clutch or wear it out. I really wouldn't recommend doing burn outs unless the truck is built for it.

This may mean a few mods to the drivetrain, or a total upgrade of the drivetrain. A lower gear ratio or smaller diameter tires would help make burn outs alittle easier on the drivetrain, however it may also have the negative effect of reducing your average fuel economy.

Ed

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really care what my fuel economy is really. I have 20's on it with 275/45/20 tires. So ya i don't have the 16's n e more. My goal really for my drive train is be able to do more then 140 kmh and a couple burnouts now and then with out breaking something. I was just wondering if i could actually achieve this and if i could what would i need.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
how u afford to do burn outs on 20" tires? must be nice

if ya want pro smoke you need a sprayer. possibly a windshield washer pump.

i dunno if it can handle fluids with viscosity but ya can try. then by pushing button ya could spray Type F auto tranny fluid into wheel wells on tires.

ull burn like hell. then the tranny fluid heats up and burns even more.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'd say if you wanted to do smokey burnouts get your smiles with a cheap truck or car,I don't know how in the world you can afford to to burnouts with them tires,must have VERY nice parents. It's hard as heck on the clutch doing burnouts and on every other part on the truck really. Just my spare change

Jimmy

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Replace the gears and stop abusing a good truck. ::)

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Biuld a nice car and use the truck to tow it to the race track on the weekend ;D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THIS IS GAY!!!! Supposibly i can only get 3.54 gears for my dana 70 when thats what it had b4!! Are these people trying to tell me that theres no way to get my rear end to go faster and to hold more power?!?! that doesn't sound rite to me! what am i suppose to do to get a stronger fast rearend or gears?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
3 54 is lowest you can get plain and simple. you could go less with a dana 60 or 61 but they re both weaker.

ur lucky you didnt tear that getrag all apart. soon that tranny will have busted gears too.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
bagged89 said:
THIS IS GAY!!!! Supposibly i can only get 3.54 gears for my dana 70 when thats what it had b4!! Are these people trying to tell me that theres no way to get my rear end to go faster and to hold more power?!?! that doesn't sound rite to me! what am i suppose to do to get a stronger fast rearend or gears?
There are lower gear sets available for the Dana 70, but remember you have a low rpm engine. If you put in a lower ratio gear, your engine will have to rev faster to maintain the same speeds as before. Thats why I said do not change more than one or two sizes lower. Another thing, too low a gear and you won't be able to burnout anyway. The engine will be spinning too fast and the rear end will be turning too slow to make it last.

http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CCTI&Category_Code=dana70gears

Some sets are stronger, but if you're dumping the clutch it won't matter much because the shock loading will spike and something else can easily break. Next time it could be an axleshaft or a clutch.

Did you know that dragsters use complicated clutch systems that release in predetermined amounts to prevent load spikes on the drivetrain, while still allowing for a smooth launch?

If you want the truck to last, cheat alittle. Stick a couple of water sprayers near the rear tires and wet the tires before you burnout. Not only will you create a smoke screen, but you won't beat up the drivetrain. With your highway gears, tall tires and enough torque to spin the earth, keep it cheap and wet the tires.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
bagged89 said:
Higher gears (numerically lower) would lower the highway rpms, but why do you need to drive faster than 87 mph (140kph)? Also realize that higher gears (numerically lower) would make it harder for you for you to spin the tires. The Dana 70 is a rock solid axle, but nothing short of a semi axle would have a chance of living under the ungodly abuse you seem to be repeatedly inflicting on your truck.

If your ego requires that you still spin tires, install lower gears (numerically higher) and a Klune overdrive unit for your highway driving, then spend some money on the engine to increase the power. Both of these will allow smoother power application that will still spin the tires. Parts will still eventually break, it's a fact.

joe swinehart said:
3 54 is lowest you can get plain and simple. you could go less with a dana 60 or 61 but they re both weaker.

ur lucky you didnt tear that getrag all apart. soon that tranny will have busted gears too.
3.54 is the highest gear you can get in a 60 or a 70. Yes, he's very lucky he hasn't destroyed many other parts.

RXT said:
There are lower gear sets available for the Dana 70, but remember you have a low rpm engine. If you put in a lower ratio gear, your engine will have to rev faster to maintain the same speeds as before.
He wants lower highway rpms, by lower gears, he means numerically lower.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
dana 60 also has a rare 3.31 gear set used in earlier fords. i have seen used sets for sale but no aftermarket manufacturers produce them. the pinion vs ring gear teeth number has been posted and its comfirmed that the ratio is around 3.30ish. but its one of those very rare things. have seen a few sets on ebay and on moparts.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts