Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I accidently put in 8.5 quarts of oil into my rc (78' w/360) because I had the wrong dipstick.yea yea, it was pretty stupid.Anyway, I noticed it becuase one of my lifters starting clicking, so I added even MORE oil, it stopped temporarily, then immediately got worse. So I drained the oil, put 6 back in and guess what? No more click! My problem is, after this happened, my rc seems sluggish and is using a noticeable amount more gasoline. Acceleration is slower too. WTF is going on here. Can you make timing go off by drinving a car w/ too much oil? I drove it about 25 miles w/ 8.5 in it. What could I have done in that amount of time. Plz help, and thx in advance.

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
bent the crank or a connecting rod / its the same theory as getting water in the motor from a mud hole / it bends all kinds of stuff only from the inside

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Just picture the crank and rods as they splashed through the oil in the bottom of the oil pan. You are spinning the crank pretty fast and it was constantly hitting the oil-I have never done this to a truck. But you can pull the oil pan and take a look and see if there is any visible damage.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The spinning bottom end will get more contact with the oil (on a BB if you can keep the oil off the crank its apparently worth 20 hp) you put in but 8.5 is only maybe 2.5 too much. That might raise it across the top (large area there) normal level of oil in the pan by, what, maybe 1/2" or so? I dont think (but I dont know) that is likely your problem in that short a distance driving (unless you were reving the crap out of it). I think you may have put a lot of oil in the lifter area, which might affect how they pump up now ? or maybe you have oil in the cylinders somewhere (between the rings?I dont know). Is it smoking a bit out the exhaust? I would see if it corrects itself in a day or three. Damage to the crank or rods would likely show up in a knock. The crank maybe but I think the rods would be fine. Got a windage tray in the thing? That might have hurt because of the resistance to leting the oil move away from the crank in a overfilled condition.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’ve seen bent rods that were caused by liquids getting where they are not supposed to go, but it has always been from a hydraulic lock. Water, coolant, fuel, etc has found it’s way into a cylinder creating the lock. Only my opinion, but, I believe that it is highly unlikely that an additional 2.5 quarts of oil would cause any thing to bend. While the additional oil was in there it would definitely rob the engine of power and increase fuel consumption. I would be looking elsewhere for the loss of power. As Bummo asked, is it burning any oil? Is it getting better or worse as you drive it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, when I took the oil out, it stopped the lifter click & was atleast better than it was, but not how it ORIGINALLY was. Im was at maybe 65% with too much oil. Now, after two days of driving, I'd say I'm at 80%. Can a deeper oil pan give more horse for a sb 360? would I have to add more oil?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The deeper pan won't give more H.P. but you would have to add more oil. Using a windage tray (don't know if you're engine already has one) will increase H.P. The tray allows the crank to spin without dragging through the oil, (which causes friction and loss of power)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
windage tray ? cool. I don't think I have one on my 78 rc w/ 360. Do you know how much they are or where I can get one??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts