Dodge RamCharger Central banner
561 - 580 of 1023 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Eric
I don't think I said much on this build like I did on judge but I sat back in awe the whole time.  Im glad you got it finished and it looks great. NOW GO ENJOY IT!
one thing though. you have to make a flag pole that you can stick in your receiver and proudly fly old glory next week on the 4th.
Bill

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
thanks Bill, you got me thinking about a flag mount.  :)

a couple of pics of my yj next to a coworker's jk with 2" lift and 33's.

Attachments

·
Registered
52,739 Posts
EY8s said:
thanks Bill, you got me thinking about a flag mount. :)

a couple of pics of my yj next to a coworker's jk with 2" lift and 33's.
{cool}

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 ·
I've been enjoying driving the Tomahawk around. 
Installed a bimini top to keep the sun at bay. 
going doorless is great for getting in/out especially in tight spaces.  between the tires sticking out, the body cladding and ease of access - I have no problem parking in those spaces where some careless driver hangs over in the next space a bit and don't worry about door dings!  ;D

replaced my defective speedo cable - speedometer is now functional.
completed wiring up the stereo - stereo rocks - weather plate for the amp/crossovers is next.
installed a tilting driver's side seat base since the pass side is non-functional now (floor/base mods) - now people can get in the backseat with a top on.
tuned/adjusted the kickdown to my liking - the tomahawk pulls nicely with preferred shift points

the driver's side torque arm induces a bit of left front lift when accelerating.  stomping on the gas and going up through the gears in this thing is both a blast and handful!  ;D

still need to get the front driveshaft done....

Attachments

·
Registered
52,739 Posts
jungle said:
Eric,
Tomahawk is AWESOME!!!!! You should be proud of this build.
Jim

PS;
You should be proud of ALL your builds!

Whats next ;) ;D
X2 on that! {cool}

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I have to agree with the masses Eric! This has been one of my favorite builds on this board. I love the fact that you laid out a plan. And, that original plan is exactly what you built. The amount that you accomplished, in the window of time that it took you is unreal. Your project ethics are very inspirational to say the least!!!! I wish some of them would rub off on me LOL.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!

And, its nice to see another stereo junky on the board. I used to have a serious car-audio addiction. I have managed to throttle it back allot over the last few years. But every now and then, the bug starts rustling around LOL.

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
thanks for props guys!

and MOPAR.....  I knew this was going to be a major undertaking for one person, working with spare time, fabbing pretty much everything, with a spring time finish goal.  this level of self-imposed work ethic and perseverance was unprecedented for myself, especially for this duration.  It was an advanced lesson of self discipline and commitment for me.  :)

half the motivation was to show my wife and daughter that the heep I rolled into the garage would run one day!  ;D

apparently the jury was still out with my wife until I took her out to lunch in it and as we were leaving the parking lot 3 guys that worked for Hendricks Motorsports were staring at it and one of them said "that thing is cool".  then she had a big smile on her face.  my daughter was convinced as soon as it was drivable.  8)

on a side note - I think I broke a leaf in the rear right spring pack.  the jeep is sittig about an inch or so lower on the right and the leaf pack has a slight "S" in it compared to the left side.  I think I may have heard it pop, but i'm not sure if that's realistic or not.  they were the stock ones that came with the jeep - I guess i'll be buying stock replacements but i'm considering going with 6 leaf packs over the 5.  {noclue}

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Great build... and you broke it already!  ;D  I'm sure you will need some drive time to fix any little quirks. It goes with building something, especially with the extent you went with the jeep. Can't wait to see some wheeling pics!  {cool}

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
it's just a matter of time until I get some wheelin' pics.
I finally have my front driveshaft figured out - i'll pick up the steel I need tmw and hopefully have it done/installed by the end of the week.
replaced the signal switch, hi-beam switch and lock cylinder - lever operation is more crisp and everything works.  I guess i'll redo the tcase/adaptor seals before I install the front driveshaft and hopefully tame the leak gremlin there.  ::)

once everything is back together i'm going to take the Tomahawk to work and do some flex testing with the forklift to see if I have any issues with binding/rubbing/angles/etc...  then it'll be trail time!  ;D

Happy Sunday!
eric

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
My replacement springs came in yesterday and I got around to installing them tonight.  They added 3/8" lift over the "good" used spring height.
I also corrected the "Dodge Perch Stagger" on my '91 D60F by making a "zero rate" 1/2" spring spacer.
The tomahawk now sits level with the exception of the left front which is 1/8" higher.
The spacer is actually part of the spring pack so it can't be displaced in relation to the spring pack OR the pumpkin perch since the locating stud is intact.  I know everybody frowns on front spacers (myself included) but this was most practical/cost effective way to address it with reasonable safety.

Pic 01 shows the stock spring which was removed - I couldn't find a broken leaf but I didn't take it apart either.
        it's hard to tell in the photo but that spring is S'd pretty good.
Pic 02 shows the new spring - much better arch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
I think I have my front driveshaft figured out now.
originally is was contemplating using a stock D60 rear axleshaft to clear the 727 but after mocking everything up and using a cut down 2x3 piece of wood - a 2"OD shaft should work.  i'm figuring front axle side-to-side movement isn't more than 1" either way (hopefully it's less) so it should be OK.
anyway, made a 2"x.25"wallDOM tube that will run between the existing 3"x.083 tube on the DC joint (tcase) and the splined stub of the slipshaft.  the 2" tube has (2) .25"wallDOM sleeves to step it up to 3" - this will have a .500" relief turned down to make it a press fit into the 3"x.083"tube.  I welded up the inside but i'll have the driveshaft guy weld the outside too.  the splined sleeve will have the first .25" or so turned down to 1.5" to go inside the 2" tube which will match up pretty well with the next step of the splined shaft which is 2.152".  spicer makes 1350 series splined shafts to work with 2"x.120" tube so this should be strong enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
wow just caught up on the build great work and a wicked rig {cool} especially liked the cross member work :D that front shaft sounds pretty beefy!

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
Finally cured my Tcase leak over the weekend. 
Third time's a charm - It was a simple oversight, I needed to fill the unused clocking stud holes and goop some sealant over the slightly recessed taper head bolts.  {hammer}
Bone dry now.  ;D

Picked up my driveshaft and installed it too.  It's heavy.  All 1350 with 2"ODx.25"wall DOM for the main shaft.  The clearance should be fine although the "installed 1" pic doesn't show it well.

I BELIEVE TOMAHAWK IS READY FOR A WHEELING TRIP!!!  :)
I'll probably go to URE either this weekend or next and see how it goes.

Last pic is a speckled hen for everybody!  {beer}

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Impressed with that Jeep! Look forward to seeing it in action. :)

Congratulations on a job well done!!!

561 - 580 of 1023 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.