Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why do some people weld there spider gears together, is that safe or is it just a cheap way of not buying a locker? Does anyone have pics of theres welding

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
it's a cheap way of locking your diff and pics are here

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
A very good cheap thing for a full off roader, but it will affect your driveabilty on the street, if you to do both you need selective type lockers.

G

·
if you do decide to weld your gears, be sure to put the welding ground as close as possible to the spider grears to keep the current from going through your bearings, i would hate to see a bearing prematurely go out because of pitting, save you some time and money

·
5,141 Posts
The pics he posted are of my rear diff. I love it, cost me 20 bucks and it hasn't broken yet. If your truck is a DD I wouldn't reccomend it, but if you drive it only occasionally I would say do it! Can't tell it is welded at speed, but slow in a parking lot you can really tell it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i would recomend welding the side gears to the carrier and not the spiders gears. welding the spider gears puts a heavy load on the center pin and will eventually fail the center pin or spider gears. my rear rockwell has no spiders or center pin, just the side gears welded to the carrier. that is also how i now have my 8-3/4 welded up after failing the center pin and spiders twice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.