Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...did you have any issues with the upper kingpin grease seal?  Several references indicate that the Dodge, Chev, and early Ford 60s used the shorter upper kingpin seal.  However, when I installed one of the knuckles today, after it was all together I realized that the portion of the seal adjacent to the pumpkin is not even contacting the inner top of the knuckle.  Dust/mud/dirt will easily travel into the upper kingpin area and grease will certainly come right out (at least a 1/16th inch gap).  There is another, slightly taller version of the seal that is referred to as a later Ford application.  I think I'll order a set, but was just wondering if others have had this same problem with a Dodge kingpin 60?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Jungle, can you do me a favor and go look at the upper kingpin seal on your front and see if there's a gap between the seal and knuckle on the inner side?  There's no question I have the right seal on there for the Dodge front (at least according to the books), but I'm considering using the Ford seal to close that gap...

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I got my kits from 4WD Factory and it had both seals in it, I needed the shorter ones but see no issue on using the taller units if that is what properly fits your setup. Get a set of Spindle seals/bearings and do them now as well Dana PN # 700014 I had to go back in and do mine after I did the kingpins  ::)

And if you have the external 8 bolt lock out's there is a guy on Pirate selling NOS B&M units for $50 + shipping. I haven't had any luck with them (on my 3 set) current set is my last with on set of spares going to drive flanges next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts