Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI.This site is great. I picked up a super clean 91 R/C that I'm going to build up a little, but keep real streetable.I' v put 60's font and back with 4.10s 4 wheel disk 2 1/2" skyjacker and 35 front splines and hubs. 90% of the info I got from this site.I'm going to stay with the 518/241 and see how it works out (kinda like the O/D) I don't know anything about small blocks, and even less about making a computer work them. I want to get around 375-400 HP range with as littlle machining as possible and still have something with some manners.Sooo I was looking at the MP new strocker crate motor with the Elderbrock F/I kit looks like it would be pretty straight forward and take a lot of the computer hassel away.WHAT DO YOU GUY"S THINK. THANKS ps I did read the magnum/ La swap artical, also i'm a big block guy but i want to stay s/b with this

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
STROKE IT BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Man i missed the computer thing, if you go with the edel set-up use everything from that to run the motor not the factory comp

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
is there anything in the a518 that is controlled by the computer that he needs to address? im looking at this swap too. inquiring minds want to know man!

Duane

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw some where about a closed system? Does that mean running the motor off the Elderbrock computer.and the trans and what ever else off the mopar computer?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Damn transmissions, if they got lock up then your gonna have to figure something out, the od is a simple push on push off switch or toggle.

You want a closed loop system unless you want to keep adjusting it, the loop system allows it's computer to keep it at optimum settings

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is this Edelbrock Fi system? Is it a 2bbl TBI or a 4bbl tbi?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i think its mpfi, but im not sure. check out edelbrocks site.

Duane

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That kind of power will kill that wimpy 518 tranny. Stock is about it for one of those anchors, if you want to put real power into it, you will need to convert to a 727 or a stick.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The 518 is a 727 with od, also you just can't throw a 727 behind a good motor either.

The edel is MPI not tbi

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
a a518 is a very stout tranny right out of the box, its main downfall is poor lubing of the OD. any competent tranny guy can build one to handle plenty of power.

Duane

·
Registered
39 Posts
edel stuff used to be just an adapted GM computer and semi custom eprom
not real good stuff
the hardware looks pretty good though
if you are going to go EFI Electromotive TEC stuff is sweet
you get DIS in addition to EFI so no 1800s technology cap n rotor to cause trouble

Ford computer stuff is closer to the top of the food chain

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Did anyone get a price on the new Edel system? I know Rance is like $3200 so if Edel was only a little cheaper i would go with Rance, unless Edel is alot cheaper

·
Registered
328 Posts
The 518 prior to 94 is a hydraulic trans not computer controlled, therefore much more reliable once the OD lube problem is addressed, as clrracer said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts