Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How necessary for a mild performance rebuild is it to degree the cam? Is it worth the $89 from Summit for the kit? Also, does anyone know of any web sites that give a step-by-step?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I think it can make a big difference. Check Mondello's web site. I think he sells a kit with proper instructions, maybe a video, and the wheel.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Cams may be installed in any position. Generally, advancing or retarding the cam rotates all cam events simultaneously in one direction. The event most affected by these changes is the intake valve closing point ABDC ("After Bottom Dead Center"). Advancing the cam closes the intake valve earlier, increasing cylinder pressure in the low to mid-range, and reducing peak power. Retarding the cam closes the intake valve later, which reduces low to mid-range power (and may reduce pinging), but potentially improves peak power.

If you want the mega-therory on cams and relational compression ratios, follow this link (hint - warm up the scientific calculators).

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/cam-tech-c.htm

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you put in a new came you should degree it, especially with dodge engines, it can make a big diference. You can move the power range up and down to certian extent too. to raise the "powerband" increase centerline (retard cam) to lower, do the opposite. m2bts 8)

Shane

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
I agree with Brew on this one... unless you are a very particular sort who likes to "do the details", or want bragging rights, there's not much real gain.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exacly my point guys, my machinist tells me it's a must do, but with an RV cam, Mildly ported and port matched heads, and everything else stock, what gains will I get? Except that the majority of the cost of the kit is the dial and stand, which of course will be useful elsewhere. Otherwise, I don't see the benefit.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Not to disagree with anyone but, like carving turkey, this is something a guy - especially one who enjoys engines and rebuilding, should know sometime in their life. Part of that performance learning curve.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
What are you gonna be using the engine for? Drag racing or playing in the mud? If you are playing in the mud that few little bit of HP won't make a whole bunch of difference.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Also if u run roller rockers it will be necessary to degree it anyhow . Me personally I like degreeing the cam cuz it gives u alot more precision and posiible tuning advantage .

bt83rc

G

·
I agree with Ohpinons. Why not degree the cam. The relationship between the cam and the crankshaft is one of the basic tenents of the internal combustion engines. Understanding that helps you to understand what future upgrades will require. You'll probably be very happy with the performance of that engine with the cam installed straight up, but what happens in the future if you decide you want to change the diff gears. Changing gear ratios may put the engine in an rpm range that doesn't work for the cam.

I say do it. You wouldn't put that motor together without checking bearing clearances or ring end gaps would you.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Try this see where your cam is when you install it with the dot to dot mehtod then degree it lets know how far off it was, i degree everything some cams are off alot from where they perform best , you put it in dot to dot you don't know really where it is do you try it and see

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I think the problem was 2.3L , i have had people screw up and seen some cams in the dot to dot method be off like 4-6 degrees retarded when it's a everyday motor not looking to perform more upstairs, i have had people say what a difference degreeing makes after it was done the other way. Get a book, and do it yourself, or let your machinist do it in front of you ask him to explain it while he does it, and the effects it makes then you'll see how important it is

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Degreeing a cam has nothing to do with if its a mild engine or a race engine. Its just one of those things that should be done to get the best performance out of an engine. The way the cam was ground, the block casting, the timing chain any of these can be slightly off and throw the power band out of whack of what the cam was designed for. For example, when i was building the engine for my brothers Mirada i degreed the cam on it. It turned out to be 4.5 degrees too retarded. This engine was a police 318 with complete overhaul of new parts. It had a double rollar timing chain and MP Cam and ported 360 heads. In saving time i left the cam where it was at. Once the engine was put into the car this engine was very dissappointing. It had less low power then the 318 2 bbl. Then i went back in and put ina key to advance it 4 degrees. That made all the difference in the world, it dropped the power band down and that engine has a ton of low end power and a very broad power band now from just degreeing the cam and correcting it.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Funny you mention the 2.3l ford...I know a guy who races one, and swears he got 500 hp and over 1100 ft lbs on the dyno with it...without N2O !!

When I started questioning him about the engine, he shut up....and wouldn't talk to me anymore.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Brew said:
The necessity actually depends on you. Are you willing to invest the time/effort to dial it in? Remember that you should thoroughly break the engine in before you do performance tuning.

Also, you stated it was a mild engine. Just how much are you going to gain by dialing it in? I am personally guessing not that much, not nearly as much as you would on an all-out high performance engine.

Me personally, I would concentrate on first breaking the engine in properly. Then I would tune the carb and timing. Lastly, I would spend the $89 to dial in the cam realizing it might gain me 5 HP at the most....to me a waste of $$

That's just my $.02
Glenn
hmm i might consider it just for the fact it ALSO includes a dial indicator. those suckers come in handy. will pay for it self the first time you swap gears.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There's also just the knowledge thing. If you degree your cam, you'll learn how, so maybe someday you can apply that info on another engine. Like the drag bike engines I work on that have NO timing marks, and the cams MUST be degreed to get installed correctly.

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
OK, I give, degree the damn thing.... Take pictures and write a HowTo for the site....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts