Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting hot here in FL and my Ramcharger doesn't have AC, my previous opinion was I didnt need one, it doesn't get enough miles to the gallon as is. Isn't there some alternatives to keeping cool in our RCs besides AC?

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
open the roof vent and the floor vents.

install a kiddie pool in the back

get a rubber suit, put it on, and fill with ice

move further north.

move much further south.

ice cream sandwiches, lots of them

need to thaw out that chicken for dinner? sit on it on the way to and from work

that's all i have for now

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey I lived a year in West Palm Beach and it was ungodly hot, and Im from San Antonio!
My AC has a leak so it only lasts about 1/2 way thru summer here (back in SA.)
This spring I put REFLETIX (sold at lowes, $30 a roll) and put in under my headliner, carpet, behind the side panels and doors, both on the metal skin and behind the plastic panel. I swear it gets no hotter that the ambient temp its sitting in. i haven done a thermometer check but going from outside to inside to back outside i swear i cant tell a difference.
plus, the speakers sound much better.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
For the small increase in fuel usage and the fact that the interior temp can exceed 130 degrees, I'd install A/C in a heart beat. ;D

You can get one of those 12 volt electric fans, the kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but for all of that heat, you may want to use an engine fan instead ;D

Seriously if you can fit a small fan into the vent, it will help at least reduce the high heat, but if it's in the 90s as it's been here, A/C is your best option.

Ed

·
Registered
782 Posts
A/C that bad boy, hehe. Just got mine working a week or two ago. Driving it before was pretty miserable. 95*, 95% humidity, and vinyl don't mix!!,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we got more comedians here than we do technicians!! Thats cool though, maybe I will try the frozen chicken deal. So I guess I am gonna have to "AC that bad boy". Of course I can get one from the JY bout would an aftermarket be better?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I vaguely remember that JC Whitney used to sell those window mounted evaporative coolers for cars and trucks, but that was like in the 1950's.

;D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Back years ago under dash air conditioners were sold. They required mounting the compressor on the engine and the condenser in front of the grill. All the inside components (fan, thermostat, evaporator) were assembled in a box which mounted under the dash. This would be easier to install than a factor system. The last time I saw an advertisement for this kind of system was in a street rod magazine.
JC Whitney offers some add on AC systems. Cost is about $1,000.

·
Registered
381 Posts
relatively easy to install if you don't mind some fabricating. the hardest part is getting a compressor on your engine so the best bet is getting one w/brackets and pulleys for a salvage yard. get the hoses. easiest is to find an old underdash unit and connect the lines, many auto parts can splice the compressor lines to the evaporator lines with crimped ends. use a new dryer, use 134-A, pump it down good, make sure the jy compressor pumps and the clutch works. ought to be able to cool it for a couple hundred.. the old under dash units have self contained wiring, hot, ground, and compressor, 3 connections.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Vintage Air. A bit high dollar, but all parts are new and are included. Everything but the 134. I just helped my brother put on in his 68 firebird. He says it cools very well. Also includes heater system, pretty much everything you need?,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found something rare at my junkyard, an aftermarket dealer installed under dash ac. The controls say Chrysler corp. I just need some new hoses and Im good to go.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It used a Sanden on the Vintage Air kit. It included the plates for the bracket, but not a complete bracket. Me, my Brother, and a friend made the bracket from some 3/8's plate steel. I think if you had the original bracket, it would go much easier. Bro's bird has that odd OHC 6 with a quadrajet. Not a whole lot of factory brackets around for that.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Never had ac in any vehicle I have owned. I always thought dogs done it best-head out the window and pant. My feelings anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts