Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the 88 4X4 1/2 ton and it has the standard P225/75/15 tires on it... Presently they are a M&S tire. Somebody please enlighten me on whether I could go to just a regular passenger car tire in the same size... My truck never sees off-road use... strictly a 4X4 for winter driving, and most winter it's in 2WD anyway... was thinking that a passenger car tire would be quieter and a little better fuel-economy wise... Any pearls of wisdom? (...she's old, high-mileage, doesn't get driven a lot these days, and I'm cheap...)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
i have a set of lt 235/75/15 liberators on mine. got them at walmart for about $250 mounted. long llife and quiet. i also get a whopping 21mpg still.

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Well, for your situation, I'd say that a set of good All Season tires would probably be just fine. I didn't look at your address, to see how bad you get winter, but it oughta be OK.

The main difference between "truck" tires and "car" tires is in the sidewall plies... trucks have more plies and are stiffer/stronger but ride harder.

See my ole grey truck in the Action Pics... I did some pretty good rock trail running on street car tires, and only (finally) lost one when I decided to powerslide a corner thru a rockpile...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHOA!... Hold the phone... I just figured out that I've got the wrong size tires on the truck! Never bothered to check before now. The question is, what is the correct size? As stated before, presently (when I bought the truck) it had P225/75R15's on. I looked at the door sticker and it says 31X10.5... Then I look at the "Tire Pressure Chart" in the owners manual and it lists a whole bunch of possible tire sizes...

I have never questioned the speedometer before now... It always seems like my speed is matching traffic flow and traffic flow was never felt to be excessive. But if that door sticker says 31X10.5, that's a lot bigger tire, isn't it? And consequently, wouldn't that mean my truck is actually travelling slower than the speedometer registers?

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
"I did some pretty good rock trail running on street car tires, and only (finally) lost one when I decided to powerslide a corner thru a roc"

Yipeeie yie Aye, gotta flat little Dodgey...LOL ;D Is there a hidden message here? (Don't run street tires off road?) :D :-X

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts