Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my idea. I have been looking at a lot of rigs for sale, but I've also been looking at tires. So I thought I would ask what tires you guys have been running on your RCs, Power Wagons, and Rams. I'm looking to know what size tires, how they handled on/off road, and how long they've lasted.

·
Premium Member
13,528 Posts
I love, repeat LOVE my Mickey Thompson MTZ's.  Highway cruising, great.  Off road, great.  Snow, great.  No complaints at all - worth every penny.  Anyone that complains about cost doesn't need good tires...

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Be prepared for a TON of answers!! I run B.F.G All-Terrain T/As. No complaints!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at that thread, but that's not the kind of info I'm looking for. Info on the MTZ's that Max gave is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I'm looking for stuff like "I run 40 inch Ground Hawgs and they are great in the mud but so loud I can't talk on my cell phone in the truck" kind of stuff.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Only two types of mud tires that I'm had intricate expiriance with.

Mickey Thompson Claw. Road noise is acceptible (but hey I'm twenty so anything short of a roar...) They love to dig. The fullsize Chevy I drove with them was long bed standard cab. The front would dig down and go once it hit something solid. The back tires would sit off the bottom and "paddle" through (though they were providing traction) The handling of the truck was kinda hard to get used to at first because of that but not bad.

The second one is Matercraft M/T's. I love this tire. They growl enough to let you know you have a mud tire and handle good. They are also pretty durable. Which is why I pick them over BFG's any day. I don't know how the work on a fullsize but on a 4 cyl Nissan Hardbody and long as you have the wheelspeed they will find traction (Also, second gear low range at ~3500 RPM is the sweet spot for that truck with 33" mastercrafts".

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ramitupurs84 said:
I like all terrians from BFG until they get lower on tread. They don't clean snow out as you would think.
How long did you have the all terrains? I was wondering how many miles you could put on a/ts vs. m/ts.

·
29,524 Posts
ramitupurs84 said:
I like all terrians from BFG until they get lower on tread. They don't clean snow out as you would think.
As they shouldn't, that's what makes them fantastic snow tires and not so good mud tires, and by default, mud tires make lousy snow tires.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've had the Interco Trxus MTs for about 4 years on my daily driver RC.  I LIKE THEM AND WOULD BUY ANOTHER SET.  They have worn well, aren't loud on the highway, and look good.  Approx 35k miles on them with lots of tread left.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I`m running milatary oz good mts 37 12.50 and love them. If yor truck is more stock
like running 33s or 31s a buddy of mine swears by the the procomp xtream AT`S
If your R/C is more street driven than off road i liked the micheilin LTX M/S

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
BIGTRUCKNUT said:
I've had the Interco Trxus MTs for about 4 years on my daily driver RC. I LIKE THEM AND WOULD BUY ANOTHER SET. They have worn well, aren't loud on the highway, and look good. Approx 35k miles on them with lots of tread left.
I seen some on a 96 3/4 ton and they looked pretty sharp but definatley had some miles on them.Im really interested in them for their performance on Ice and snow.You have any experience with them on ice?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a buddy with an '01 Ram with a 6 inch lift and 37 in Truxus M/Ts, and he had them on his truck this last winter, which was the worst VA has seen in a long time, and he had no problems getting stuck in snow and ice. He's had them for more than 30,000 miles and they still have a good amount of tread left. And they are REALLY quiet on the highway.

Has anyone used the Kevlar Wranglers? We're getting some good stuff here!

·
29,524 Posts
RVA RC said:
I have a buddy with an '01 Ram with a 6 inch lift and 37 in Truxus M/Ts, and he had them on his truck this last winter, which was the worst VA has seen in a long time, and he had no problems getting stuck in snow and ice.
That doesn't mean a good all terrain wouldn't have done better, in fact they will, I see it all the time.

It comes down to priorities, if you want/need good snow tires, you don't want mud tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why is it that all terrains tires work better in the snow? In my mind the huge treads on mud terrains would really grab into deep snow really well. But I've never driven a truck in the snow either.

·
29,524 Posts
In snow, you want lots of tiny nooks and crannies to hold the snow. Also, several, small sipes provide lots of small "teeth" that grips snow and ice well (as well as it can get anyway).

I read this analogy in a magazine a long time ago, I think it came from Mickey Thompson. If you take two snowballs and stick them together, the stick quite well. Now if you take a snowball and try to stick it to the sidewall of a tire, it doesn't work so good.

If you've got lots of tiny sipes and voids that retain snow, you get more traction (snow sticks to itself). Mud tires with their large lugs are designed to be self cleaning which is what you want in mud, but they don't retain any snow. With mud tires, you rely on the the poor adhesion of rubber on snow and suffer with the lack small biting edges.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's good info! I've been paying attention to what tires are underneath some of the 4x4s I've seen on the  road, and it seems like 50% of them are running the BFGoodrich T/A KOs. I'm thinking that can't be an accident...

Plus the more I'm figuring on the kind of driving I do, A/Ts will be more than sufficient for the kind of driving I do. I'm not a big mud guy. Although those MTZs by Mickey Thompson look like a nice middle ground.

·
29,524 Posts
If you don't hit the mud often, you can't beat a BFG AT.

I live in the mountains and have to drive on snow covered roads 5-6 months a year, I've always used BFG's. I know that there are other good A/T's on the market, but I am not willing to spend $600-ish to experiment. Plus, I know that the sipes are the full tread depth. I found out the hard way with some Goodyear Wranglers that came on my Dakota. The sipes were only about half the tread depth, so when the tread was have worn, the tires were essentially 80% less effective.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts