Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about anyone else but I am tired of going into the vehicle help or Tech boards every other day and seeing yet another new thread asking what size tires will fit with no lift or 4 inch lift or a 16 foot lift or whatever. Can we get a FAQ going on what size tires can reasonably be expected to fit with the most common lifts? Then we can just refer the person to it instead of another long discussion about of suspension lift vs. body lift vs. wheel size vs. wheel backspacing and all the combos of the above. We could also put in a disclaimer about this being a general guide only. Opinions?

Chris

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
hey chris, while we are on the subject. could you tell me what size tires will fit on my 76 rc with a shackle flip and a 2 inch lift up front?

sorry man i just couldnt resist. i just replied to that post and i was thinking the same thing you are right now.

i wish some people would learn to use the search feature at times. i am sure it would bring up a couple of thousand hits on tire size questions.

but then again, we have had a lot of manifold and carburetor questions lately to, and the week before that it was lift questions, and the week before that it was(fill in the blank)........lol

but i think a FAQ on the tires might not be a bad idea.

eric

·
Registered
446 Posts
We could also add one of the charts, like they put in the magazines now and then, that states acceptable gear ratios for certain tire sizes. ???

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I suggested that about 1 year ago, I think it's a good idea.

Is the chart with gear ratios not in there yet? I think Fourwheeler had a chart in it about a month ago with tire sizes etc. didn't quite match the things I read on here so far, at least the RC part, if I remember correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fourwheelparts allready has those tables maybe we could post a link to them

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Well, here is my look on the subject. There is no way to standardize what hits and what doesn't. There are too many dependent factors like:

• Type of lift
  • Manufacture of lift
  • Spring condition
  • leaf count
  • leaf thickness
  • actual tire size
  • actual tire width
  • advertised tire size
  • advertised tire width
  • wheel size
  • wheel width
  • wheel offset
  • driving habits.
All of those make up what will hit and what won't.

For some examples -

long ago the camo RC had a 4" rough country lift with 3" body lift and 33x12.5 BFG all terrains on 15x10 aluminum wheels (not sure of offset, tire stuck out maybe an inch, probably less, outside of fenders). I hit the fenders while offroading alot, even in the rear. I run my trucks very hard.

The new RC we have came with stock height, same tires on 15x8" aluminum wheels and I never hit the fenders. I never ran it hard in stock form (different story now :) )

Now, the 4" rough country lift was pretty flexy and the new RC had some very good condition springs for an 84 (still had arch front and rear). Theoretically same size tire, 7" of lift hit, but stock didn't.

This is what I want to stay away from - We list 33's will fit with a 4" lift (which is usually correct). Then Joe Schmoe comes to the site looking at running 33's on his fully restored 74 RC. He buys 33" swampers (true 33" diameter) x 14" wide tires and mounts them on 12" wide wheels.

The first time he goes off the highway (driving to his deer blind maybe) he tears the hell out of the fenders and brand new tires, gashing the sidewall. He comes back and tells us our shit ain't right since he ruined his new body work and paint and practically destroyed his new tires.

My point is there is no way to accurately say what will hit and what won't. And if we standardize it, and some new people come along and go with what we say and their stuff gets screwed up they will blame the site, since the site said it would work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wycowboy said:
We could also put in a disclaimer about this being a general guide only. Opinions?

Chris
I already thought of the scenario you described Sam, thats what the disclaimer is for. It could be worded something like:

"This is a GENERAL guide only and due to the differences in lift, tire and wheel manufacturers and the overall condition of your vehicle, RamChargerCentral.Com is not responsible for any damage to your vehicle."

Chris

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
disclaimer don't mean squat, I am sure nobody has read the disclaimer for this site, which puts us in the clear on the tire issues, but that doesn't keep a person from going to another dodge site saying we suck because we don't know what we are talking about and they have the proof.

I guess we can put circumstantial what hits and what doesn't, which would probably a nice little list. Maybe to start it off we should list all things that affect what hits, and say that the best way is to raise it and put the tires on to see if it will indeed hit.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I agree with you Sam. I had 35's on my truck with the 3 inch body lift and they never hit. I now have 7 inches of lift and the 35 inch swampers hit. There are so many different variables that come into play when asking "will it fit". There are some general guidelines though. Normally 32's is the largest tire that will fit on a stock truck. 4 inches normally requried for 33's, and some people can get away with 4 inches and 35's. It all depends on your vehicle and how hard you wheel it.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
the problem with the search feature is that it is so hard to figure out what words will result in getting what you need and what words will get us a post about someone's nose hair, or nothing at all. the search is so picky that i spent almost 30 minutes the other day trying to find a post about something, finally, i gave up and started a new post about it. maybe we need some search tips?

Jake

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
wycowboy said:
Forget it, bad idea.

Chris
don't give up that easy! It is a good idea, we just need to figure out a way to present it so that even a moron understands not every truck is the same.
There is no way to do that. There will always be some moron, who probably drove a chebbie most of his life, who will believe that the chart is gospel. That is why I suggested a disclaimer, so the idiot who puts those 44" boggers mounted on 8 inch wide wheels on a 1980 W-100 with a 2 body lift has no legal basis for a suit.

DDGRC84 brings up a good point though, the search feature is very hard to use. I have tried to find things with it and am rarely successful. Maybe if it was easier to use it would cut down on new threads. Then we could just refer to it when a thread is started on a subject thats been covered 22 times already.

Chris

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
I think the problem is people are afraid to change the settings the search is at.

It is default to match all words that you enter. If that doesn't work, you can change it to search for any of the words (more results) or search for phrase. The phrase would give you the most accurate results, but you have to have the phrase you are searching for to be EXACTLY like the one in the post.

You can even get results by a specific author of the post.

Also, if you know it is in only one section, like the Vehicle Help board, uncheck all the other sections and only search in that section.

Always search for both Subjects and Message.

On the Min/Max age thing, the one on the far right (7), I always set it to 300, unless I know the post is fairly recent.

Finally, I always set my results to alot, since if you leave it at 25 it will only return the first 25 results and nothing more.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
the other problem is that it sees all the replies to a post as separate posts, so if the search phrase is in the subject you get to see all the replies to that post, this seriously eats up the number of returned hits.

Jake

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
DDGRC84 said:
the other problem is that it sees all the replies to a post as separate posts, so if the search phrase is in the subject you get to see all the replies to that post, this seriously eats up the number of returned hits.

Jake
Yes, but the other alternative is to only return the post, but if that post had 300 replies (which we have many) then you would have to search every single post till you found what you wanted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
I think the problem is people are afraid to change the settings the search is at.

It is default to match all words that you enter. If that doesn't work, you can change it to search for any of the words (more results) or search for phrase. The phrase would give you the most accurate results, but you have to have the phrase you are searching for to be EXACTLY like the one in the post.

Also, if you know it is in only one section, like the Vehicle Help board, uncheck all the other sections and only search in that section.

On the Min/Max age thing, the one on the far right (7), I always set it to 300, unless I know the post is fairly recent.

Finally, I always set my results to alot, since if you leave it at 25 it will only return the first 25 results and nothing more.
Those are great directions Sam. I tried them and they worked great for me. I don't run a search very often because I konw it'ss come up next week again and I can usually wait. Could you put that set of directions up on the search page? It would help newbies to use the search feature. I think some of them try it and get discouraged because they can't find what they are after

Chris

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
wycowboy said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:

Those are great directions Sam. I tried them and they worked great for me. I don't run a search very often because I konw it'ss come up next week again and I can usually wait. Could you put that set of directions up on the search page? It would help newbies to use the search feature. I think some of them try it and get discouraged because they can't find what they are after

Chris
i agree wit hthe directions here. i used to have alot of probs using the search as well until i started setting it to return something like 1000 results, and i usually set the time since setting at something like 60 days.

usually no more problems for me now.

eric

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.