Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the stock Fan type rims on my RC. No lift and want to put a good semi-aggresive tire on it. But nothing that will cause me to mortgage the house. I have looked all over the web but can't decide.

Let me know your thoughts on what has worked for you and what looks like crud.

Doh. it is an 84

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got a stock 84 RC 4x4 no lift and I put 32x11.5 Mud Kings on mine. They're not too aggresive and I paid a little under 400.00 for em brand new tax and mounted.

You may want to post what the tires are going on... year, 4x? Plus, it depends on the shape of your springs.

As far as looks - the Mud Kings look pretty good on there. I wish I would have went with a 33, but wasn't sure they'd fit. They last for 50 - 60k which isn't bad for a mud tire.

My .02

·
Registered
171 Posts
::) BF Goodrich all-terrain KO. They are the most aggressive all-terrain made! They're quiet, too. Last about 50 - 60 thousand miles. My 32's would rub on my 87 RC under full articulation, wheels turned all the way. 31's clear very well on a stocker. ;)

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It really depends on what you want out of the tires. Do you plan on wheeling a lot, or just mainly street driving. If you want the best of both worlds there is a special on ground hawgs right now. You can get a set of 32's for about $125 a pop. But I've been hearing some not so good things about the current batch of hawgs out there right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know I'm about to start a riot, but.... Everyone I know that had KOs think they suck in off road department. Notice I said had.... I got 2 buddies that sold em within a month of buying them. They slick up easy and don't self clean worth a #*%&. I'm not saying they're not a good tire - just depends on what you want.

But if you wanna drop $600.00 + on show tires they do look pretty awesome.

Just don't get in the mud....someone will have to come after you.

My .02

·
29,451 Posts
slgunnel said:
I know I'm about to start a riot, but.... Everyone I know that had KOs think they suck in off road department.
Do they define "off-road" as mud only?
BFG AT's are excellent in everything but mud. I do a lot of off-roading, and almost none of it is in the mud.

G

·
slgunnel said:
I know I'm about to start a riot, but.... Everyone I know that had KOs think they suck in off road department. Notice I said had.... I got 2 buddies that sold em within a month of buying them. They slick up easy and don't self clean worth a #*%&. I'm not saying they're not a good tire - just depends on what you want.

But if you wanna drop $600.00 + on show tires they do look pretty awesome.

Just don't get in the mud....someone will have to come after you.

My .02
Yep, their only drawback is mud. Snow,ice, rain, rock, gravel, sand, everything else, they are by far the best tires I've ever owned. Show me another tire that will do that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
KThaxton said:
slgunnel said:
I know I'm about to start a riot, but.... Everyone I know that had KOs think they suck in off road department.
Do they define "off-road" as mud only?
BFG AT's are excellent in everything but mud. I do a lot of off-roading, and almost none of it is in the mud.
Being in UT - I can imagine so.... In the South - mud is everywhere you go offroad, so to me mud and offroad are twins. Like I said too - wasn't saying they're a bad tire... Come on people - read the WHOLE thing.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i like the BFG AT\TA KOs myself... have em on my cherokee.. never had a problem with em... but they do tend to suck with mud. otherwise theya re great tires..

·
Registered
8,924 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree about the BFG AT/KO's. I have them on the '85, put over 30,000 miles on them, and when I had one replaced under road hazard warranty, they measured the tread and it had 50% left - So they definitely wear like a champ! Quietest all-terrains I've used, too. This is compared to Coopers, Good-Years, and Sport Kings (which I have on the '89 now, and I can't wait to replace them). They got me through a full (brutal, I might add) winter without 4wd, and I only got minorly stuck once while playing - nothing I couldn't rock my way out of. I did however, get severely stuck to the point of having to be winched out of mud once, because the treads pack right up and all they do is dig in. Never got stuck once on anything else though. They cost me $104 each, mounted, balanced, and lifetime warranty at Costco. I'd definitely recommend them, as long as you don't see any deep mud (unless a buddy has a winch!)

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Troy - I think if you give a little more detail as to what, if any, off roading that you do. That way we can go from there and recommend tires for your purpose.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I have had Goodrich AT KO. Very good all around off road tire. HOWEVER, Bridgestone Dueler AT is far superior, Last longer , and perform better off road.I have them on my 2002 Wrangler and they kick ass over ther KO's.On my w150, I have Bridgestone MT's . Also better than Goodrich Mud-Terrains which I also had in the past. (In My Opinion).

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Does anyone have opinions on the Thornbirds?

Right now I have cheap 35" Conti-Tracs A/T's and they work good in all kinds of terrain, but they were only $125 each and require a lot of weight to balance them. And they seem to wear pretty well. But I don't think I would buy another set without trying another brand first.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
benbear said:
Just my 2 cents. I have had Goodrich AT KO. Very good all around off road tire. HOWEVER, Bridgestone Dueler AT is far superior, Last longer , and perform better off road.I have them on my 2002 Wrangler and they kick ass over ther KO's.On my w150, I have Bridgestone MT's . Also better than Goodrich Mud-Terrains which I also had in the past. (In My Opinion).
No offense, but you couldn't pay me to put Bridgestone tires on my truck.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
benbear said:
No offense, but you couldn't pay me to put Bridgestone tires on my truck.

LET ME GUESS---Because it is firestone associated and firestone has a bad rap. If this is the reason, Bridgestone is UNI-T technology, Different tooling, and different plant. May as well be a different manufacturer. If you new anything about tires, You would not be making such an ignorant statement without backing it up with reasons why.I have used Bridgestone in many performance and off-road applications.Without a doubt, superior to goodrich. UNI-T can not be beat. Who else agrees or disagrees?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I don't drive on bridgestones, not saying good or bad either way. It has nothing to do with them making firestones. Firestones for that matter make some pretty good tires, they just got a bad rap because the soccer moms who owned the ford exploders never checked the tire pressure and well go figure, they blew out because of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts