Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found that I have 3.54 gears on the truck, and the stock tire size was 235/85/16. It currently has 295/75/16 tires on it. Would it hurt mileage if I got 315/75/16 tires for it? Would those tires be too big for a tow rig?

I would also like recomendations on tires. This is a whole new ballpark to me, and I never had to worry about load ratings and stuff on my RC's. I would like an offroad or aggressive looking tire, but a roadworthy one. I figure all terrains would be my best bet.

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
super swamper tsl radial
super swamper ssr
super swamper trxus
explorer pro-comp at/mt
parneli jones dirt grip
mickey thompson baja claw
gumbo mudder
ground hawg
buckshot maxis mudder
coyote
mickey thompson baja belted
all these tires have some/all sizes produced in a HD load capacity tire. some having up to 10 plys

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Well, my new Swamper radials are load range "E"...the
old Swampers were "C" so I'm sure they can handle weight.
Not to say I think they're good road tires, because they're
not ;D
Just get the highest load rating you can in the tires you choose.
BTW, awesome truck Sam {cool}

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 91 ;D

Swampers and Ground Hawgs both have very soft rubber, so I don't see hawgs lasting a very long time. At least the 40's are soft.

Mo, do you have a diesel? What gear ratio do you have and it really hurt your mpg?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt he have a 413 industrial and 4 56s?

oh and im not sure but jeret (82pwrram) has either stock 3 23 or maybe 3 55 and hes running 35s. he says no prob. others have said it makes for a slight slug if you re goin stop light to stop light and trying to take off fast from dead stop.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Before I bought my new truck I was led to believe the new 24 valve got better fuel milage. Both my new truck and old truck are set up the same; 3:54's , diesel , extend-a-cab , auto , etc. Old truck got between 750- 850 km's per tank and the new one is lucky to see 650. Anyone else seen a huge difference between the 12 and 24 valve motors? The new one even with the HP increase over the 12 valve doesn't seem to tow as well either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 98 24v and a 94 12v and although the 94 is not quite as powerful as the 98.......the fuel mileage on the 12v is almost TWICE that of the 24v.

Hay guyz....I need some tires 3000 lb load rating and above - hwy or AS tread - prefer US made. Got any suggestions?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here is my $.02. I have owned my 93 since 95, and it has pushing 200,000 miles and about 1/3 of those miles have been on 33X12.5X16.5 BFGMT load range D. I pull my 32' gooseneck that wieghs almost 7000 lbs, and put on at least one 6000 lbs truck on the trailer. With 3:55 gears, 5 spd, and the pump tweaked I have good luck pulling down the interstated in overdrive. When I put 2 6000 lbs trucks on the trailer or a 15,000 lbs backhoe my truck works VERY HARD. I don't know the exact size the original ones were but I think I will go back to some 32" tall tires and maybe only 10" wide, prolly some Michilen XPS Tractions with load range E 10 ply rating.

I noticed a milage drop from the stock tires which were about 31-32 inches tall to the 33X12.5. Yes the engins should turn slower but it has to push more air now. Empty on the street I could see no performace difference but for heavy towing you will notice. But I tow alot more than most people that haul their 4X4's on a small car trailer. There is alot of wind resistance with a big tractor up in the air too.

Email me if you want more info about you cummins, I love mine and will help you with yours!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Sam, Stay with the 3.55's and get a set of the Pro Comp A/T's. They have a 50,000 mile warrantee and offer a great selection of sizes. If you notice any loss in power or economy, remember that Diesels are simple to upgrade. The power available in the Cummins reaches the 1100 FtLb range without stressing the engine. (That was the original number before it was put into a "Light Duty" truck) A few simple mods to the engine and you will see great results. Check out some of the Diesel performance computers to start with...simple installation and good performance boost!

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to stay with the gears, I haven't seen any computer upgrades for a 93. Could you let me know where you found these? I do know there is a ton of stuff I can do, fortunately the truck already has a Banks Stinger, and I have put an AFE megacanon filter for late model cummins in it. Now I just need better injectors, smaller turbo housing, advance the pump and do alot of other little things to get it running good. I have found I get about 15 mpg (I think the mileage is off due to haveing bigger than stock tires) so I figure I get between 15 to 20 mpg. I would like to have 22+.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I'm sorry Sam, I didnt realize that yours was a 93. There are no electronic devices for anything earlier than 96 from what I understand. It was a single wire operation up to then. Since you have the Banks Stinger system on and have already done some other work I would say that the injectors are you next step. Get the Bosch injectors and a new pump...do not advance the pump. My source says that if you run the pump up too much you will end up blowing the front end of it. What he reccomends is a high pressure low volume pump from Bosch. It allow the fuel to atomize better for more complete burn. This guy is named Doc. He called me at home one evening a few years ago asking if I would be interested in starting a Diesel only magazine. I thought about it for a few days and since there was not really that much out there at the time for Diesels, I had to back out. I think the name of his company is Dr. Diesel. He challenged Banks, ATS, and another company to a speed contest. He built a 96 club cab dually that would run 0-60 in just over 6-seconds. The engine was making around 450-500 hp and near 1100 ft.lbs of torque. He also challenged Gale Banks personally to a speed run at Utah and said that he would beat him by 100 mph! I never heard if he did it or not but I think he's still in business.

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jay, that AFE mega cannon is basically an open element filter (bigger than stock) with a heat sheild. It is like a K&N, but from what I have seen on sites it is better than the K&N.

I have also asked some companies about the 215hp injectors, and they tell me I can't use them in the 93 since it is a first Gen. They do have 1 gen injectors, but I don't know what they are called.

I am still going to do what you suggested way back when I first got my truck - find a good diesel mechanic to tweak the things you mentioned. I would really love to run 38's, but more than anything I wan't good fuel mileage. If that means no big tires then I won't be getting any big tires. I know it does mean that, but I hate having such a "little" truck, even though it is bigger than most stock trucks out there.

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if they make a load E range tire in 38" to 44". I know michelan makes a 385/75/16 that is higher than an "E" tire, the same tire they have on the superduty on Peterson's 4 Wheel and Offroad. I am sure they are expensive though.

I would like to run at least 38x14.5 tires, but if it is gonna make me get 10 mpg I don't want to do that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you bought a new 24 valve and expected the milege to stay the same you missed the artical that came out in 1999 about the electronic fuel pump versus the mechanical pump of 1998 and older. The artical said that tests showed that after breakin periods the elctronic pump lost substantial mileage whereas the old mechanical did not. Mine started loosing at about 5 to 10 thousand miles I have a 2000 model. If you have a stick shift tires won't matter much. with automatic gear change would help the most but is very expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts