Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does it work?? in the door of my 97 ram it says the tires are 255, i bought it last year and it had 265 on it. now i put oon some 285s. i cant really tell because i think it thorws off the odometer. if so which way does it change it? are you going farther of shorter distance than it says when you increase in tire size? my speedometer says that im going slower than i actually am.

·
29,918 Posts
Your odometer will show less distance than you actually went. Because your tires have a bigger circumfrence, they cover more distance with each revolution than with a smaller tire, so it takes less revoltions to cover the same distance.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If you didn't add more weight, then it takes more power to spin the heavier tire hindering your mpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Taller tires means higher top speed, and improved highway mileage. It also means that you may have a slower take-off from a dead stop because it takes more power to get it moving, and in stop & go traffic your gas mileage will decrease. One thing to help balance this out, if you're going with bigger tires, is to get lighter rims (aluminum)

·
Premium Member
7,292 Posts
You may get alittle better fuel ecomony with slightly taller tires. You have to understand the relationship between the engine, gearing and tire size. A taller tire travels alittle further per revolution. That means that you can gain a slight mpg increase because in a given distance the tires are rotating less and the engine dosn't have to spin as fast, which saves fuel. Unfortunately you just can't swap to really big tires to gain a big mpg increase because the engine can only turn so slow before it begins to lug and waste fuel. Additionally as tire size increases so does their weight which require more energy to spin.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.