Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I'll be putting 31x10.5's on my '85 RC, and I'm feeling a bit lost as to which specific brand/model to buy.

What I'd like it to do:
1) provide better-than-average to excellent traction on moderate/heavy snow & ice
2) provide moderate to better-than-average traction in dry/wet offroad
3) resist punctures & damage from moderate offroad use

Basically I want to put em on about the middle of November and drive the RC full time through the winter (lots of skiing and snowboarding, daily work commute through 25mph corners @ 4200') until things warm up...at which point I'll go back to the Mustang for summer, and only drive the RC into offroad areas that the 'Stang can't make...

But, I'd prefer not to buy new tires again next spring, so I'm trying to find something that will work for all the above :)

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
bridgestone dueler at's or mt's

had a couple of sets of these in specified size, worked excellent everywhere i went and in all weather and got about 35,000 miles or so out of them before i changed them, still didnt need changed at that time, had about 30% tread left

eric

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I've got the BFG All Terrain AT/KO's (like many many others do), and have been very happy with them.
They got a "Severe Weather" rating, which I hear will get you around chain laws in some areas, and I think the do perform well on ice. I've scraped the sidewalls up on some rocks a few times with no problems, but I haven't really hit them hard either. They do seem to do better in the mud than some other all terrains I've had in the past, but they are not a mud tire by any means. Could be the side lugs helping there too. I also know a few others running them that are also quite happy.

G

·
I too have the BFG All Terrains. They are everything Donk says they are. They're a good snow/ice tire, they wear well and they have all the traction you need in wet or dry conditions. They are not a mud tire.

They're a little pricey though. About 150.00 ea. Give or take.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm isn't sounding too out of the ballpark though.. Les Schwab just quoted me $607 for Wild Country TXR's, mounted & balanced, with Siping (will be about $650 after this weekend)... And I have a better chance of getting BFG's below retail than I do Les Schwab, I think...

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
BFG AT KO's {cool}

You won't be disappointed, they are the standard in all terrain tires.

·
3,940 Posts
tv_larsen said:
BFG AT KO's {cool}

i agree w/this. excellent snow tire.

i also really like the Durango A/T's. there very similar to mickey thompson MTX's. i had these in 285's on my crewcab last winter and they were great on a big heavy truck.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you like to be a little different I have had good results from Yokohama Geolanders AT+II, they have a distinct tread design. I have 30k+ on them and expect at least another 30k before replacing them. They have done real well in the ice storms out east here, and survived several trail rides now. They are also very well mannered on the road. I bought 32x11.50 from sears for $125/tire.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
If its legal in your state get some MTs and put studs in them.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i just put a set of 33x12.50x16.5s BFG AT TA KOs on my 95 ram, plus i have a set of t hem in 235x75x15 on my cherokee..... i also had an older set on a dakota i had.. these are GREAT tires and i love em... plus they wear very well...... i have had the fronts on my jeep for almost 2 yrs...the only reason i dont have em on the rear is someone decided to knife em....

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Ribcracker said:
If you like to be a little different I have had good results from Yokohama Geolanders AT+II, they have a distinct tread design. I have 30k+ on them and expect at least another 30k before replacing them. They have done real well in the ice storms out east here, and survived several trail rides now. They are also very well mannered on the road. I bought 32x11.50 from sears for $125/tire.
I have heard good things about those also

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I swore I would never run BFG TAs again because because of the poor winter performance, however, the new generation KO's seem to be a big improvement over the old ones in the winter department. They are siped, not as much as I would like to see on a dedicated winter tire, but enough that they would be a good all around performer. I bought a set of 33x9.5 15's for my truck, and am so far very happy. I will know for sure when the snow flies again...
william

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Nitto Terra Grapplers are very quiet, cheap at Discount Tire, and have a 3 ply sidewall. :) My friend Roy runs Pep Boys "Dakota" radials, and they work well in Mud and snow. I think paid $89.00 each, and they look cool too. :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
i have the yokohama geolanders also. they are a pretty nice street tire, but living in AZ i cant comment on thier snow manners. also, mine chopped really bad untill i found the right pressure. then they leveled off and seemed to stop wearing.
now with that said, i am from as for north in pennsylvania as you can get, and used to plow snow for a living in the winter. so, i know a little something about winter tires. buy the BFGs. they work.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
william said:
I swore I would never run BFG TAs again because because of the poor winter performance, however, the new generation KO's seem to be a big improvement over the old ones in the winter department. They are siped, not as much as I would like to see on a dedicated winter tire, but enough that they would be a good all around performer. I bought a set of 33x9.5 15's for my truck, and am so far very happy. I will know for sure when the snow flies again...
william
I can second that.. I got a set of AT TA/KO's for my 85 a few years aago, and they got me through the whole second half of last winter without 4wd.. They also have great rain/ice manners, and they're real quiet on pavement. One thing I'm not thrilled with though is in the mud department... The tread packs up real quick and doesn't clear out so they turn into slicks. Apparantly the Mud Terrains solve that with little impact on the road manners (a little noisier). I cant vouch for the ice/rain/snow handling on them, but I'd imaginne it would be the same if not better because of the more aggressive tread and siping.. That's what I'll be getting for my '89 when the god-awful Sport Kings that came with it wear out. Steer clear of the SK's and Coopers. One more thing abot the AT's, they wear very well.. I had to have one replaced under my road hazard warranty after 35,000 miles, and they still had over 50% tread left. I got mine at Costco for $114 each mounted/balanced (31x10.50R15), and they have free lifetime balance and rotation, flat repair (patch, not plug), and road hazard warranty. They also have up to 35" AT and MT in stock, and can special order up to 40" (prices go up accordingly, but are still better than most places)

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i have bfg mud terrains and have never had a problem with them in the snow. last winter i never even had to use four wheel drive at all. this includes both snowy rodes and to get out of my driveway i have to go through a fire hall parking lot that is unplowed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.