Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my ramcharger on the road. i am running 33x9.5x15. the tires will take 50psi. i have 40 psi in them now and rides to hard. is it safe to drop them down to like 28-30psi for a better ride? what do you keep your tire pressure at? thanks

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The best way I have found to check for proper psi in the tires is easy but will take a little time all you will nee is a press gauge,a peice of chalk,and a straight and level roadway.Start by chalking the tred area of the tire then drive straight fo a few feet till the tire makes at least 1 full revloution,then ck the chalk pattern adjust till you get even ware. :D

·
5,141 Posts
yeah, it will be safe to run that low of pressure. I have to run 14 in my 38.5x14.5 Swampers. Do as Bogie said and use the chalk to find the right pressure

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
30 sounds about right for 33's. 35 psi is correct for 31's. As you go bigger on tires per same weight vehicle the tire pressure needs to come down because the bigger tires have a larger load capacity.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Kinda weird with the tire pressure going down as the tire size increases. I was running 20 PSI in my 35X15.50 swampers. And I've got about 20 in my 36X12.50s. I like to start off with more pressure than needed and work down 5 psi at a time until the ride softens up enough without allowing them to get too hot.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
RAMMAN4 said:
Kinda weird with the tire pressure going down as the tire size increases. I was running 20 PSI in my 35X15.50 swampers. And I've got about 20 in my 36X12.50s. I like to start off with more pressure than needed and work down 5 psi at a time until the ride softens up enough without allowing them to get too hot.
How is that weird? On the side of the tire it says how much weight that tire can handle at "X" amount of PSI. Bigger tires generally handle more weight. Lets say you have 31's and they can handle 2250 lbs a piece. 2250 x 4 tires is 9000 lbs at 50 psi. Now the 33x10.50x15 for BFGoodrich hold 2600 lbs a piece at 50 psi. Multipied by 4 is 10400 lbs. If you have a 5000 lb Ramcharger or truck you obviously don't want 50 psi in your tires because your vehicle don't weigh enough to compress the sidewalls of the tires enough to get full contact of tread pattern. So since bigger tires can handle more weight you need less pressure in the tires to get the same contact pattern and ride. Does it make sense now, or are you more confused?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I just always figured that when the tire size went up the air pressure in the tire would increase since there is a bigger volume.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
aha! the amount of air inside there is larger, but the pressure is not. the psi is equivalent to the pounds of pressure per square inch that is exerted on the inside of the tire by the air in it. so a 14" tire with 35 psi of pressure inside it, has the same amount of air pressure, not the same volume of air, as a 44" tire with 35 psi. the volume of the 44 is muuuuch greater

Jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts