Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling this thread topic will bring all kinda of personal opinions and whatnot. I just had a set of 305/70R16 Super Swamper SSR radials on 16x10 wheels put on my '98 Ram Quad Cab. I'd like to know what air pressure to run. I'm asking mainly for info from people who have the same tire/rim size on a similar size truck.

Also, I've heard of drawing a line across the tire with chalk, then driving straight for 1/4 to1/2 mile at highway speed, then checking to see where the chalk was worn. I live in a busy area, and can't think of any staight roads that aren't busy. Could I get the same effect in my parking lot by pouring water down and then driving through it, then adjust my air pressure until I get a complete tread print on the ground? Or is the other way the only suitable way, because I would be traveling at highway speed, and the tire may be a different shape than if I drive slowly through a puddle of water?

·
5,142 Posts
the white chalk thing will work in a parking lot too.

That is really the best way to determine what air pressure to run.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the speed part of it that I heard doesn't really matter?

·
Registered
30,032 Posts
at hi-way speeds you might want more air so the tires aint so jello like for the off ramps / for around town and wheeling the chalk works good

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
As said, the chalk is a good way to check--parking lot should be OK.

Your tire has a 12" section width on a 10" rim, I would guess you will end up very close to 35 psi +/- 3 psi (right where it should be for these types of tires)

-SM

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool I'm running 40 psi right now, and I know that it's too much, I'll get some chalk and see what it tells me tomorrow, thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts