Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made all the shackles/hangers for my lift, now i just need to istall them. would like to get it in this weekend. i ground the heads off the rivets of the first hanger and tried hittin them with a hammer, but really no luck. the problem is there's really no room to swing a hammer in there. if the whole body was off it would be a piece of cake. my friend suggested drilling a small hole through the center of the rivet because when they get pressed at the factory they tend to expand in the hole. im gonna try this method and see if it works. anyone else with experience in this area want to help me out? im pretty much using basic hand tools also, no air tools. thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Other than just blowing them out with a torch, the small hole idea sounds good... If a small hole doesn't work, drill larger...

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Easy one man. Do you have a torch? Even a butane or propane torch might work. Heat the frame around the rivit and not the rivit itself. Steel expands when it gets hot. If you heat the frame around the rivit it will expand and make it easy for the rivit to get out. If you heat up the rivit it will expand and make it a bitch. When I did the hangers on the front of project FORD KILLER we heated up the rivits themselves and fought with them for awhile. When I installed the rear hangers I heated up the frame instead of the rivits and the rivits came right out. I've installed hangers on 2 other trucks heating the frame and they have come out pretty damn easy that way. Other wise see if you can locate a compressor and air hammer or just keep beating the hell out of it with a hammer and punch.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Heating the frame up hot enough to drive the rivits out will change the steel's temper, not to mention the diameter of the hole in the frame. The rivets do not only expand inside the holes they are installed in, the heads are mushroomed quite a bit.

I have a far easier, and safer, method. I use a cut off wheel on my die grinder and cut an "X" into the head of a rivet down to the surface of the frame. Then using an air chisel and the 4 little quarters of the rivet head will pop right off flush. After all of the rivet heads are removed this way, a simple punch and hammer removes the remaining rivet.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Air chisel

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I ground the heads flat enough to center punch them, then drilled them out with a small bit, then a larger bit. I then ground the heads flat, and just popped them out with a punch. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Grind them flat and use a air hammer. If you use a hammer drill (unless this is what donk was talking about) you will destroy a drill bit fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts