Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a carb conv. on my RC, and I was wondering if the base timing is any different?  I figured someone on here would know.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
10 is always a good place to start. You can creep up higher until you either 1)get a part-throttle "rattle"  2)get a WOT rattle ping 3) get a starter grunting on hot restart.

None of that is likely to be found anywhere near 10* though. More tends to equal better mpg, more power/throttle response, and ping. Less timing tends to equal more carbon, hotter running, less power, less mpg.

Of course you would be better off with dial back timing light and checking timing again around 3000ish to make sure your advance is working, but no one wants to spend that extra time. ;D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats cool, I will do that soon.  I had just meant from the factory though.
Way to overkill it Joe ;)

Thanks,
Jake

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
RollingBombShelter said:
Way to overkill it Joe ;)

Thanks,
Jake
I just want you to get the best "gas mileage" possible....if you happen to wake up the ol' engine and discover some extra power, so be it ;D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHAT?  A 318, with gas mileage!?!?!?!
I can`t hear you lalalalalalalalalalalalalalal......... ;D

Seriously, I appreciate the help.
Jake

·
Registered
466 Posts
i did the carb coversion on my 88 318.  there are a lot of variations 10 before tdc is what it ran with the computer and tbi. the computer controls advance and i am sure it controls it at idle too.
  i put a 2bbl intack and a none computerized carb on it 1978 i do believe.

for a 78 it says 2 degrees before with advance vacum hose disconnected and plugged
it also say for the ground to be switched to neutral for the spark control.

i found that on my old motor 6 was about right. it had some slop in the cam chain though.
i just put a new motor in and i will start with six and see.

part of the confusion lays in the fact that each year and differrent set-ups had differrent delay valves for vacum advance. they also had differrent computers for the carbs witch also had a effect on timing.
  on my new motor i have changed the ignition to the homade hei(dodge distributor and hei chevy chip and ford e-coil) so i will have to find the sweet spot.    listen to the motor for pinging knocking and hard starting ect.
after you find the right spot keep checking the plugs for color because that is the real indicator

·
Registered
904 Posts
fox3698 said:
i did the carb coversion on my 88 318. there are a lot of variations 10 before tdc is what it ran with the computer and tbi. the computer controls advance and i am sure it controls it at idle too.
i put a 2bbl intack and a none computerized carb on it 1978 i do believe.

for a 78 it says 2 degrees before with advance vacum hose disconnected and plugged
it also say for the ground to be switched to neutral for the spark control.

i found that on my old motor 6 was about right. it had some slop in the cam chain though.
i just put a new motor in and i will start with six and see.

part of the confusion lays in the fact that each year and differrent set-ups had differrent delay valves for vacum advance. they also had differrent computers for the carbs witch also had a effect on timing.
on my new motor i have changed the ignition to the homade hei(dodge distributor and hei chevy chip and ford e-coil) so i will have to find the sweet spot. listen to the motor for pinging knocking and hard starting ect.
after you find the right spot keep checking the plugs for color because that is the real indicator
so you retained the '78's "Lean Burn"? I think thta's a bad-to-worse setup. the best way to go would be the 5 pin Mopar ECU and a dist equipped with both vac and mechanical advance... and play with it til you get max advance possible w/o pinging.

·
Registered
466 Posts
you lost me on the 78 lean burn. do you mean the carb?  its a 2bbl with no computer hook-ups to it .
as far as i know its just a old style carb.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
volaredon said:
so you retained the '78's "Lean Burn"? I think thta's a bad-to-worse setup. the best way to go would be the 5 pin Mopar ECU and a dist equipped with both vac and mechanical advance... and play with it til you get max advance possible w/o pinging.
A good majority of trucks did not have lean burn in '78. It was hit or miss.

His module trick should do everything a 5pin could do, and then some! all w/o having to use dual ballasts. (dual ballast, 4 pin, required for 5 pin module) further more, even if someone did want to use the junk ballast setup, I think the 5 pin module is out of production and superseded by a 4 pin module.

A vacuum advance distributor is definitely a must, but I am going to assume he is using one of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts