Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Timing chain?

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Smokin_Guns 
#1 ·
I have a "new" '85 RC showing 26K miles :) could be 126K or 226K.

How do you tell if it needs the timing chain replaced? I had one jump on a D100, and don't want to go through that again :(

What else should I check on? The power seems low, and I see some smoke when starting it.

#2 ·
Well compression test wil give yo ugood idea on how close to death the engine is well you will know if there is any compression loss also a leak down test can tewll you if ou got bad valves and such or worn out guide valves as well .

As for the timing chain there is a way to check it ..... it's pretty easy cept you need hte big ass socket for the harmonic balancer and you gotta turn it a few degree's and see how much slack there is in the chain . it's in the Chilton's orthe Haynes which u can get fomr a local library or a parts house

G
#5 ·
Exactly. When in doubt, swap it out. Even if it's okay, more than likely, it was replaced with an OEM type and it won't last for long. Get a honkin' double-roller in there. The smoke on startup might be just dry, cracked valve stem seals. Those umbrella-style seals aren't very stout. Alas, if not, the guides, as already stated, would be my second choice.

#6 ·
Rammin88 said:
I was trying to turn my engine for just this purpose the other day...

My big socket is too small for the crank bolt but does fit the alternator nut... turned the alternator to turn the crank. Not the best way but it works.
It should take an 1 1/4 inch socket.

#7 ·
A not too exact way to check your timing chain. Hook up a timing light like you were going to adjust your timing. If the chain is worn the timing mark on the harmonic balancer will be "jumping" all over the scale when the light flashes.

Since you stated you don't want to go through the pain of another jumped chain, I would highly recc you replace whatever is in there with a nice double roller chain. It is not that expensive for the part, but you will have to spring for a gasket set (timing chain cover, water pump, fuel pump if carbed, and the set should come with little tabs for the front of the oil pan where the timing chain cover sits on the pan). You can get your local parts store (O'Reilly etc) to loan you a harmonic balance puller. And last but not least you will need a helper to keep the engine from turning while you try and break that huge bolt free. You can get it done in a weekend, easy.

Cheers

Chris

#8 ·
i did a timing chain in about 6 hours from start to finish as long as you dont have to many options like A\C... P\S and alt... no problem.. no P\S even easier.... so its not to hard but its just time consuming....

#9 ·
Can you do a direct replacement with a double roller chain? Or do you have to change the gears? Does anyone have a part number for one for an LA 360 eigine?

V737D, I like the timing light test idea :) ...it is easier

#10 ·
There are many manufacturing firms with double rollers. If you plan on keeping this vehicle a Looooong time, I would suggest going with a Cloyes double roller clo-9-3103. Double check my part number. Lots of DR chains can be had for $35-50, many of these chains have hardened gears, but also have split rollers. These chains will outlast a silent oem chain, but the real quality chains will go for $80ish.
Just my .02

#11 ·
Also the stock cover WILL fit the double roller setup. A double roller will come with the chain and gears.

#12 ·
Yes stock will fit over the roller chain. No, you need gears made for a double roller

And regarding the helper, you can just use a piston stop that goes in the spark plug to keep the engine from spinning while you break the balancer bolt free too.

#13 ·
double rollers can be ordered for about $30 from summit or PAW. they work alot better than stock. and they fit. i still need to put one in my 89 rc. 318, tbi, a/c, p/s, smog junk, the works. it'll ne a nice big job. ill try to take pics if i can for a how-to. later people...

#14 ·
You should get the new gears with the chain. Never a good idea to change the chain and not the gears.

#16 ·
ok a cloyes double roller at autozone is $19.99, i know this cuz it is what i just put in my truck.

for the balancer bolt, if you dont have a standard sae socket that fits, a 32 millimeter also fits.

they way i break it loose is to put socket on balancer with a big ass breaker bar and place it against frame, i then arc across starter solenoid or have someone turn the key, this usually breakes it right loose

eric

#20 ·
BigT71 said:
intense, does that 19.99 double roller have the 3-way keyways on the crank gear? and what is the part number? 318
no it does not have the 3-way key slots, i bleive that is why it is the $19.99.

here is a listing of those they show with a 3-key way set

HI_TECH 193024-3 2 YR $58.99
3-KEYWAY CRANK GEAR, NOT LEGAL SALE OR USE ON
POLLUTION CONTROLLED MOTOR VEHICLES
.200"DIAMETER DOUBLE ROW CHAIN (MORE...)

HI_TECH 198103 2 YR $79.99
3-KEYWAY CRANK GEAR, NOT LEGAL SALE OR USE ON
POLLUTION CONTROLLED MOTOR VEHICLES
250" DIAMETER SEAMLESS DOUBLE ROLLER CHAIN (MORE...)

HI_TECH 198203 2 YR $62.99
HI-PERFORMANCE SET
.222" DIAMETER DOUBLE ROW CHAIN
*** 1 TO 2 WORKING DAY DELIVERY *** (MORE...)

HI_TECH
3 PIECE SET 193002 2 YR $24.99

HI_TECH
3 PIECE SET 193024 2 YR $47.99
DOUBLE ROW SET. OPTIONAL TRUCK STYLE TIMING SET
*** 1 TO 2 WORKING DAY DELIVERY ***
ORDER ENTRY AND TECH SUPPORT OPEN M-F 8:00 AM TO (MORE...)

hope that helps

eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.