Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I learned that Ma MOPAR was still using the nylon ring gear for the cam drive on my '87, I couldn't change it fast enough!

Just a little picture of how much stretch the stocker had built up over 150k miles. The cam gear was still in intact but you could see quite a bit of concave wear on the thrust face of each tooth.

She no longer hiccups on take off. What a thrash, timing chain, water pump, mini-starter, and new Sanden a/c compressor (with custom bracketry from BPE ), I have tools and greasy gaskets all over the car port!

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've seen 'em much more elongated than that, but the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your timing chain is fresh is worth the trouble.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That's nothing i took my chain off without removing the gears, and the nylon was still on the gear

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yep I have seen much worse,As a after thought I have been using the automatic tensioners that mopar started making a few years back there in the mopar preformance catalog about 25 bucks.

G

·
I've told the story before of the nylon gear that bought it while I was driving. Bent all the pushrods, punched 3 rockers, and was only hitting on maybe 4 cylinders by the time I got home. I'd bought one of those tensioners anticipating the need in my project, but after putting on a real set (double chain, tru-roller) the tensioner ran and hid, yelping all the way. Honestly, it looked like the chain would eat it up in no time. They obviously work well with the OEM chains, but I think they'd take a beating from the HD chains. I elected to not install the tensioner.

·
Registered
996 Posts
when should you change the chain and does my 89 318 have the nylon set. Also, got any part numbers? I got 109k on the rc

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
67Mike,

I'm not sure what year MOPAR quit doing this but I would bet you have the nylon ring gear. I had 150k on mine. What scared me into doing this was the nylon bits inside my power windows fragged out and they see waaaaaay less use than than the cam drive! I would worry more about the age than mileage though, age+acidic oil bath+years+kablammmo (apologies to David Hobbs) I picked mine up for 40 bucks off of JEGS website, they and Summitt have a wide selection. Just make sure you ge a true double roller. Also will need a timing cover gasket set. It comes with a water pump gasket and the two little tabs for the end of the oil pan. About three gallons of coolant will need to be replaced. In the "as long as you're there" mode, think about changing your hoses and belts as well as your oil as some coolant may drip into your pan. Water pump too.

Cheers

Chris

G

·
Looks like they ditched the nylon when the TBI's hit the scene. My '89 318 has an all-steel gear. A stock chain will have 1/8 stretch in it at 50K, and they say to change it at that point.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well My truck sat for just about 8 years before i got it, i got it with 60k and put the following 40k on it and my gears were beautiful, the chain however was so stretched it needed a little coaxing to come off with removing the gears, and those double roller chains stretch also i have quite a few of them stretched so bad i wonder why every motor i build doesn't have a gear drive.
So everyone knows what kills timing chains is on and off the gas, jumping on and off the gas will stretch a chain in stock motors it takes longer for the abuse to show up, motors making hp will kill chains alot faster, i see that my motors that did road racing killed chains compared the drag motors, a good example of chain killers are race boats, race boats abuse the hell out of every engine part there is more so than any other form of racing.
If you drive like i do and it's a mix of road/drag racing change you stock chain at about 60k making a good amount of hp with a double roller change it at 90k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts