Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 rc with the tbi318. did dodge still use the plastic timing chains on that year of motor or did they finally swap to metal? i havent had any probs with it [yet] but i am planning on swapping it, sooner if its plastic rather than later if its not. thanks.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just a preventive thing. we've always replaced them before they explode. but my dad says i shouldnt rev it high or ill spit teeth, i always rev it high [about 4grand] and its been fine after like a year. maybe it is a dbl roller then...cuz the motor supposedly has roller lifters and other inside diffs....hmm. ill prolly still swap it anyways, just cuz its me. thanks.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
An easy way to tell if the chain is sloppy is by using a timing light. If the timing mark holds steady, no problem. If it fluctuates, new chain needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Or.....

Take the dist cap off and get some way of turning the crank pully by your self by hand. Turn it one way and watch the dist rotor. It should turn as you turn the crank...Now turn the crank the other way and watch the rotor. If there is a delay between the time you start turning the crank the other way and the time the rotor starts to move then there is slack in the chain.

Replacing the stock DBL roller chain with a cheap parts store chain is gona be a downgrade. You need to get a really good true dbl roller chain to be matching or upgrading from the stock one. Something thats gona be more then 50 bux. Those cheap $17 AutoZone ones are junk and get all sloppy as soon as you start the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts