Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was - pickle in one hand, squirrell in the other. No, wait. Wrong story. Anywho, second gear went out of my 727 in my 79. So after I tried adjusting the kick-down band with no success, I dropped the pan and removed the valve body. My question is this. How the hell do you get that park shaft back into place? I can see it goes into that big square hole, but there's not enough room to get my big mellon up there where I can see what the hell I am doing. What's in that big hole for that rod to connect to? If I can figure that out, I can get this ole beast going again, carting my ass back and forth to the salt-mine.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The reason second gear went out was 'cause the band adjustment thingie was broke, and wedged itself out of harm's way. So I'll pick one of these babies up at work tomorrow, and I'll be cooking with gas.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
ya know i ran into the same problem too and i still don't know how the hell it'sd goes in there maybe Dodeman knows cuz he is building a tranny and it's nice and fresh in his dome i would imagine lol .

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
You've got to just keep poking,... she said.
That arm has to reach back and fit into a notch on the parking sprag (do go see dodgeman's long thread in the New Mexico Board for pictures). So, maybe you can reach back and wiggle/rotate the tailshaft while pushing the rod toward the rear... it'll eventually go in.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smokey said:
So, maybe you can reach back and wiggle/rotate the tailshaft while pushing the rod toward the rear... it'll eventually go in.
I'll give that a whirl and go from there. I left the tranny in neutral when I started this project, so it should still be in N. I don't know if I can turn the tail of the tranny cause it's in the truck and the truck's on the ground. I'll look for that other post. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
heres the link to my trsnny post so far, I havent gotten around to posting the pix of the park lever engauging the parking pawl, but the book says put it in neutral and turn the out put shaft or the rear drive shaft, the pic of the governer shows the cogs the park pawl locks into and its spring loaded so it will have to click in to place, pix coming soon though

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
What i have done everytime I had that problem, I turned the output shaft by hand while wiggling the shift lever, went on everytime. But I also had the t-case off everytime and the adapter off or loosened up so that you can get the parking shaft in there all the way with the valve body and bolted in. But what I learned is to just take the E clip off of the parking shaft where it attatches to the valve body, then it stays there and you don't have to go through that crap again!

·
29,447 Posts
I did this on my 2000 46re, which should be the same. I have only done this once and it worked just fine.
All I needed to do was angle the rod properly, and slowly push it back (it gets guided somewhat by the housing) till I heard a click, and that was it.
I'll check my FSM when I get off work and see if it offers any more enlightning info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts