Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an automatic, column shift 360 86 Ram 350 1 ton.

the people before me tore the column up pretty bad. Non repairable.

I'm looking at replacing the entire column.  I know a manual won't work as it has s different shifter cup (or whatever it's called) 

Will a tilt column fit into my application?  If it does fit, which it does appear to fit by size, is there any hook ups that will be different?  Like will the blinkers work and have the same hook up?  It does appear to be a little different as it is from a higher optioned crew cab truck. 

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
gotta be close to same year and absolutely get the jumper harness that hooks between the column and the truck wiring [ just so you know the tilt columns are GM Saginaw columns and the jumper converts the GM wiring to dodge ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
gotta be close to same year and absolutely get the jumper harness that hooks between the column and the truck wiring [ just so you know the tilt columns are GM Saginaw columns and the jumper converts the GM wiring to dodge ]
That explains why the funky GM key.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
As long as you get the whole assembly, down to the steering box, and it is the same (4x4, or 2wd) as yours, it will all fit fine. 83 or so, to 87 should fit fine. 88 & 89 will fit, but take some custom work with the wiring, and also has the wipers, and high beams on the column (you do not have to use them). 91 to 93, will fit, but take a lot of custom work with the wires. but you will end up with a much better setup, with easier to replace parts. switches were used to the late 90's at least. My 97 full size van uses the same switches, key, turn, wipers, high beams. To do that, you will need the column, and the wires down to the firewall, to have enough to do all the work. Even for the ambitious, it is a lot of work. Quickest is to stick with the mid 80's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a mid eightie's column from a guy who will remove and deliver it for me.  Over a 100 miles to deliver. LUckily I'm between his weekend cabin and his home. 
  Paying 100 bucks for a complete column. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.