Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been having this thought floating around in my head and was wondering if you guys thought it might work.
1. take the hinges and latches from a full size van.
2. use plexiglas cut too the outside edge of the trim (won't be reusing trim) and heat/bend to match the roof.
3. think i found some gaskets/door seals that will work. u shape to go over the pinchweld and bubble on the side.
and now for the questions.
1. do you guys think it would work?
2. what thickness of plexi would work?

·
Super Moderator
29,592 Posts
I think it would work, and I've considered the same idea a few times myself.  The conclusion I came to was that unless the plexiglass was very thick, it would be too flimsy to work correctly.  With the way the window is shaped, you can pretty much just make it pop out at the bottom with the hinges at the top.  That makes for a very long and oddly shaped piece of plastic catching the wind going down the highway.  So the plastic would have to be really thick or, and I think this idea is better, have a steel or aluminum frame around it to strengthen it.  I even considered just using the glass that is in the truck now and was going to get the local glass shop to drill the glass for inserts to mount the hinges and latches but since it's tempered automotive glass, it would take much for the whole piece to explode into little chunks.  So came the plexiglass window idea and then the frame around it idea.  Eventually I just abandoned the whole idea and will either finish over the back windows with sheetmetal and put in a sliding RV style window or something similar.  Until then I will probably just paint over the rear windows for now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That sounds like a tone of work that could be quickly undone on the freeway. You could try something similar to truck shells with the front 3/4's fixed glass, and the rear 1/4 hinged but hinged on the front and not the top. so that it is freeway friendly. for instance.... (sorry. Done shity in paint)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.