Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a rebuild kit for my steering shaft where it connects to the steering box and it cleared up the slip I had but now I have tight spots in the steering. Everything was put back together how it came apart. Any help is appreciated.

1990 Ramcharger 5.9

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
a photo , or more info needed , if this was a factory type coupler rebuilt with the correct replacement parts it should work fine so some thing is either done wrong or pats are mis matched . the rag joint ( round rubber ) and the coupler act as a drive shaft and u joints , and need to be phased ] --- [  not - --- [  other wise there will be a cyclic action . also is the rage joint being squished now ? 

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was bought off of rock auto so it should be the factory type coupler rebuilt with the correct replacement parts. The rag joint seems to be fine but I'll take some pictures of it for ya. The only thing I'm unsure of is the direction of the metal spacers around the coupler. One side is flat and the other side is rounded. I put the rounded ends out.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Did you try and tighten the steering by loosening the lock nut on the steering gear box and adjusting the screw?  If you adjust the steering gear box too much it will bind then loosen.  If too tight it can break the adjuster.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. All I did was slide the coupling off of the steering box. Rebuild the innards of the coupling and put it back on. It had slop before but there wasn't any tight spots in it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry I don't have any helpful input for your issue but what kit did you get to get rid of the slack in your steering? I have the same issue with slack (wheel moves approx 15* either direction before steering gear engages) it has been described as a "floating" steering wheel to me.  Good luck with your issue I hope it gets resolved in case I have the same problem  ;D

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
langheldphoto said:
Sorry I don't have any helpful input for your issue but what kit did you get to get rid of the slack in your steering? I have the same issue with slack (wheel moves approx 15* either direction before steering gear engages) it has been described as a "floating" steering wheel to me. Good luck with your issue I hope it gets resolved in case I have the same problem ;D
That sounds like a steering gear box issue.
The best thing to do in your case is jack the front end up enough to get the tires off the ground.
Then have someone turn the wheel back and forth and see what's moving where it's not supposed to be moving.
As 86w250 said above...the gear box can be adjusted to take out some of the slop. If that's where your issue is.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
miller6323 said:
No. All I did was slide the coupling off of the steering box. Rebuild the innards of the coupling and put it back on. It had slop before but there wasn't any tight spots in it.
Was the pin centered in the shaft? Were the shoes installed the correct way and not rotated 90°? I would highly recommend not messing with the stock joint. They can wear out in only a couple thousand miles and are just a very poor design. A Borgeson shaft is an excellent replacement and will outlast the rest of the truck.

langheldphoto said:
Sorry I don't have any helpful input for your issue but what kit did you get to get rid of the slack in your steering? I have the same issue with slack (wheel moves approx 15* either direction before steering gear engages) it has been described as a "floating" steering wheel to me. Good luck with your issue I hope it gets resolved in case I have the same problem ;D
Check the joint at the box where the steering column attaches. Have someone rotate the wheel back and forth and see if the slack is in the joint. If so, look into a Borgeson steering shaft and fix it once and for all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The slop in the steering wheel is fixed. Rebuilding the joint fixed that issue. No more slop. The new pin is centered in the shaft but I'm not 100% sure if the "shoes" as you called them are facing the right way. I asked earlier in the thread and got no clarification on that. I didn't pay attention to how they came out when I took it apart so when. I put them back in I put the rounded corners on the outside. Is this the correct way? If not that's probably the issue.

I will try jacking up the front and trying to find the issue that way. I doubt it's the steering box though. It hasnt given me any issues since I replaced it with new a few years back but I won't rule it out just yet.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
langheldphoto said:
The one I used is on Rock Auto.com

If you don't mind spending the money the borgeson shaft is the way to go but mine is just a toy and for the money I can rebuild it 30 times before it's cost effective to change to the shaft.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The shoes go in with the longer part of them going up and down, if that makes any sense. With the shoes and spring in the right place, the spring should be a little hard to get to go in the body of the joint as the little roll in the middle of it usually wants to hang on the edge of the body.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha. So based on that I put it back together properly. I guess it's in the steering box then. How do I adjust the steering box. I bought it as a reman and installed it. Never made any adjustments to it. Didn't even know you could adjust it.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
return it , it should already be adjusted .  If its been properly bled .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.