Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now I’m getting sick of this thing, I bought a set of ac delco 46a0450a tie rod ends... they are the 3500lb one same diameter of the old ones but I can’t get past maybe 4 threads and I can’t find anymore tie rod ends that are different... anyone else have this issue????? Oh it’s an 86 w250

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
86, was the switch from a coarse, and fine thread to a left hand thread, and a right hand thread.  And of course, the Po could have installed the tie rod backwards. Check to see which you have. are the threads visibly different spacing between the groves?, or do they look the same, and have a different angle? Then go back, and get the ones for the year before, or year after.

Also, not too uncommon for someone to use a tie rod off a parts truck they have, so even other years have had the wrong tie rod ends for the year of the truck.

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
Here is the specs for 85.

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
And for 87.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks superburban I’ll look into it tomorrow but what I did notice is that the threads on the original ends are just slightly more fine then the replacements.

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
They are damm close.

87, side 1. 3/4" by 16 TPI (threads per inch), right hand thread
      side 2. 3/4" by 16 TPI, left hand thread.

85 Side 1. 3/4" by 18 TPI, right hand thread.
    Side 2. 3/4" by 12 TPI, right hand thread.

My old 86, I got the wrong ends, and the one side went in, but took a lot. Got to the other side, and it was a no go from the get go. After discovering this issue, I took the first side out, but it had galled the threads quite a bit. Luckily my friend had the right size tap, and the threads cleaned up nicely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.