Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since i cant really describe the sound accurately, i made a video of it. the engine is warm, just got driven for 30 mins in arizona 100 degree weather.

1989 Dodge Ramcharger 360 v8 ticking sound

a verbal description of the symptoms: Whenever I accelerate, there is a light ticking sound. It wont do it past a certain rpm or at idle and if i were to guess it only ticks between 1500 and 2500 rpm. The odd thing is that it wont do it when the engine is cold, only when it is heated up. It will make the same noise when in park or neutral as it does in drive. Its not incredibly loud, just loud enough to annoy you when your going down the road.
thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I can't hear a tick over your fan.  See if you can figure out if its coming from top end or bottom end of engine.  Could be slight exhaust leak at one of the ports from your description of sound.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What I hear is the rattle as well.  Hard to tell where its coming from, too.  I'd look for external sources first - loose pulleys is a good possibility.  I'd also check the heat shield over the cat.  Loose heat shields are notorious for vibrating at specific frequencies, thus making rattles or ticks only in a narrow range of RPM.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
I've heard that noise before, 100RC.  Look for a problem in the exhaust air injection system.   ;D

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
that sounds like either an AIR pump rattle or the PCV valve

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Just remembered that the flapper on the right side exhaust manifold can sometimes make some annoying noises

·
Registered
81 Posts
Use the old garden hose in the ear trick and run one end along your exhaust manifolds. A neighbor had this kind of sound and most told him it was a rod knock. Found out it was an exhaust leak at the manifold that would show up after the manifold got hot and moved a little. Just be careful with that hose so you don't get it caught in anything.  Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think it might be the air pump check valve? The sound seems to be coming from that area but I cant tell for sure. Would it make that noise if it was going bad?  Oh, and also this is with the ac off. Thanks for the help all

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Hmmm, how's the oil pressure?

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Engine bay is is nice shape!  You need to narrow down the general area of the noise.  I like the garden hose idea.  The exhaust flapper, air pump, many things can make that noise. 

One thing you can do is remove the belts.  Check each pulley for bearing noise.  then I'd *briefly* run the engine with the belts off and see if the noise still occurs.  That'll help rule out if it's an accessory noise.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The oil pressure is fine, at least as far as the stock gauge is concerned straight up and down. and it runs fine and i cant notice any loss in power or mileage, but since it will only make the noise when its warmed up taking off the belts will be tricky but ill try.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have chased that one before at the Dealership.  The check valve in your A.I.R. tubes is bad.  I use a stethoscope with just the rubber hoses and point the hose at the air injection valves and see if that is the culprit.  Its been a long time since so I don't remember exactly which/were it is. We don't see many vehicles older than 99'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so using the hose to the ear method I have narrowed it down to this. I believe it is the air check valve but im not sure. It is definitely coming from this and not from anything behind or near it. So what should I do next? do i need to replace it or does it only indicate another problem elsewhere?

Thanks for the help, Im so close i can almost (not) hear it!

Here are 2 pictures of where the ticking noise is coming from

Attachments

·
2013 Ram 1500 2014 Challenger SXT
2,274 Posts
Have you tried hooking up the hose that goes to the valve?
Or blocking it off?
Seems to me with it open to the atmosphere it would certainly make that ticking sound.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i found a hose dangling where it was supposed to be connected up to that valve. I have no idea how it could have come off, but im just glad i have a quiet ride once again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts