Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a scale of 1 to 10 , 10 being the loudest....how loud would dual thrush 24" glass packs be on a stock 1988 318c.i. with dual Hooker exhaust headers?

·
Registered
512 Posts
geronimo said:
On a scale of 1 to 10 , 10 being the loudest....how loud would dual thrush 24" glass packs be on a stock 1988 318c.i. with dual Hooker exhaust headers?
After they break in? -About 11! ... Thats what I HAD. I was stopped by the State Police, The trooper was laughing as he came up to the truck and said "Boy,O Boy!, Thats really loud!"
"I'll bet the Judge would like to hear that!" I had lost my sense
of humor by then though, or I would have thought it was funny too. :-\

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
i have a 22" onmy mirada with dual converters. Its just a slight rumble. Thats even with dual 4" tips. I say if your going with dual exhaust and no converters then it would be about 6-7 and 10 being open headers.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Too loud for most noise laws. Becareful what you put on depending on where you live.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
IMHO, glass packs= JUNK. But they're really loud...
-Steve C.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i have to thrush glass packs on my R/C. I think they are like 27" long and 2.5 inch pipe, they are kinda loud but not to bad, also i live in north dakota and they dont care about much. But i would give my R/C about a 7 on loudness scale. I have dual exhaust on my ford and i am running two 16 inch glass packs and 3 in pipe, that thing if REALLY loud.To put my ford and the loudness scale i would say about a 12 out of 10.

·
Registered
756 Posts
yea ive got the 24'' in thrush glasspacks on my r/c, i have 2 1/4 inch pipe off headers, and the exhaust is VERY loud

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm taking them off today: now I won't scare the critters when I sneak into the woods with my bow!!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Can't be any worse than all the 1/2T Chevy trucks with thier giant TIPS to see just how loud they can get any & every combination of exhaust system. 2 inch duals with 6 inch tips for megaphones.. I say if you run a smaller pipe it'll quiet it down, but headers & glass packs will be loud.. but leave off the tips.. those are for Hondas and Chevy trucks so they can get attention.
Aaron Wyse

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
I really like using turbo mufflers they are not loud at all and sound good when u romp on it . But defintely quiet enough to sneak up on those critters !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks BrianT!!!

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
thats what is on the 86 ? a 6-8 depending on how i get on it .. 2" pipe turn down on the ends... the 81 ford has turbos and they sound good... 2 1/2 pipe turn down.. 4-6 the 89 rc has a turbo type and 2 1/2 pipe down too .they are 5-6 give or take .. not real pleased with them .. i want magnaflow mufflers.. have headers on all 3 no cats ... quinn :eek: 8)

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yeah but are not funning them full length though are ya ? Any of them will be loud when u turn them out at the muffler too .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sold on Flowmaster mufflers myself. Decent sound quality, great performance......
.....and the [email protected] things are built so tough, you could use 'em for a "Hi-lift" jack point!!!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
im using a single 2.5" on the shadow (2.2L w/turbo). no cats. dumps out under the drivers door in a fancy 3" chrome tip. its very quiet. tooo quiet. just a generic turbomuffler made by cherry bomb. but ya i could imagine dual glass packs being a bit loud for jonny law.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I love living in minnesota, single 2 1/2 inch straight pipe, and never been pulled over. It doesn't really get load unless you really get on the gogo juice.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you were going to add exhaust tips what would you all recommmend?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
running dual 2.5 inch pipe with glass packs and stock exhaust mannys no cats (got to love the 70's rc's)

at idle gives a nice low rumble that makes people look, maybe a 3-4 on a 10 scale, if you omp on it and open the secondaries though you will have people 2 blocks away looking to see where you are. probably a 15 on 10 scale

as far as sneaking up on critters, as long as ya dont stomp the go pedal it shouldnt be a problem

eric

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
well geronimo it depends. its just a little finishing touch. i wouldnt go too much bigger than the exhuast pipe itself. i like one with a rolled tip. just look around for what you like.

the exhaust was built from turbo to exhaust tip for $25. muffler was $15, tip was $5 can various clamps ect ect made up the rest. the pipe it self was free. you can get free pipe in shorter lengths for free from local muffler shop. when they do custom pipe they have left overs up to maybe 2ft in length. plus you can score bends and other stuff you need.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Unless you have alot of cam and compression, that 318 will never be real loud. A new Hemi with a single glasspack and stock converters is way louder than my wore out 360 with true duals and only converters. I just put duals on a '04 Chevy 2500 HD with a 8100 V8 (494 CUBIC INCHES!!!!) I put generic turbo mufflers and it was louder than my truck. Putting the large diameter tips on doesn't really make it much louder. They change the tone more than anything. I have 2 1/4" pipes and I put on 3"x18" tips on my truck and it mellowed out the sound as she wrapps out be fore she shifts. Plus the shorter the pipes the quieter it is. Take it in to a good exhaust shop and and have it done professionaly. You will be happier with the results and save yourself a big headache.
-stew-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts