Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the throttle and lockdown linkage solved since it is one of the last things to get together on my truck. It is a 1979 Trailduster with a 1985 Dodge 360 and 727. I did have the stock carb on it, knew how all the linkage went together, but then upgraded to an edlebrock 1906 after the stock carb gave some issues. Now, I can't get a clear picture of how everything should go together with the new carb. Does anyone have any advice on how this all goes together? it seems the edelbrock is too wide and nothing wants to line up how it should. Ill attach pictures of the old carb and the new edelbrock.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Same as the old one, throttle cable goes on the inside of the carb stud with a clip holding it and the slider for the kickdown and return springs go on the outside of the stud.  Looking at how it's lining up, you may need to bend your throttle cable bracket out to the valve cover a bit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elwenil said:
Same as the old one, throttle cable goes on the inside of the carb stud with a clip holding it and the slider for the kickdown and return springs go on the outside of the stud. Looking at how it's lining up, you may need to bend your throttle cable bracket out to the valve cover a bit.
I guess I was hoping for a better way to make this linkage work. I'm not too excited to bend the factory linkage to get it to work, especially with it all being a good inch off from correct alignment

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
There's always the Lokar brackets if you don't mind spending extra $

·
Registered
72 Posts
Edelbrock makes a Chrysler throttle linkage bracket that they sell as an accessory.  It's 15 bucks or so I think. Makes hooking the cable up easy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Microcube said:
Edelbrock makes a Chrysler throttle linkage bracket that they sell as an accessory. It's 15 bucks or so I think. Makes hooking the cable up easy.
I believe I have the one you are talking about. I see how it works but seems to move everything to the drivers side an inch and makes everything look like it will bind.

The lokar brackets and set up may be an option. I used them in a 440 but was trying to get this done cheap. I Guess that went out the window when I bought this new carb

Edit: I was think of the BPE kits, not the lokar kit.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I'd just bend the bracket.  I've done it many, many times when swapping from a 2BBL to a 4BBL and using the old 2BBL bracket.  Bend the bottom out towards the valve cover and then bend the top portion back a little to keep it vertical so the kickdown doesn't bind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elwenil said:
I'd just bend the bracket. I've done it many, many times when swapping from a 2BBL to a 4BBL and using the old 2BBL bracket. Bend the bottom out towards the valve cover and then bend the top portion back a little to keep it vertical so the kickdown doesn't bind.
I'll try this considering I think I have a spare bracket laying around. And if not or it doesn't work, the lokar set up looks pretty slick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn’t comfortable forcing it to work, so I went with the lokar set up. All in all I’m happy it did. Very easy to set up and looks great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.